• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get 1000Mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Volt

I've read eveything I can, and followed what everyone else is doing, about how to overclock your CPU and RAM in these forums and at XS. I understand you want to have the highest FSB as possible and the highest Mhz for your RAM, and then find the highest limit for both to work together.

So I've been able to keep the following very stable....

CPU Freq - 420
DRAM Freq - 840
Multi - 10
vCore - 1.65
vDimm - 2.4
FSB: DRAM - 1:1
Timings - 5-4-4-15(I did not manually set these, it was automatic)
DRAM Throttling Threshold - Auto (I'm not sure what this does)

I read at Corsair where my RAM was tested at 1000Mhz at timings of 5-4-4-9. So I thought I would try and achieve that.

My CPU freq. tops out at 430. Since I can't reach 500 on a 1:1 ratio, I figured a 4:5 ratio would work. I wanted to be safe, so I changed my CPU freq
back to 400, which then gave me the option in DRAM of 1000. I kept all the voltages the same and rebooted. Big ol' BSOD. I figured out I forgot to change the timings. Changed them to 5-4-4-9 and rebooted. Same BSOD. Tried it with DRAM Throttling off and on with no luck(not sure what it was for so I thought I'd see if it had any effect).

Now I'm back to my original settings and everything's back to normal.

Is my understanding of what to do and the way to go about it wrong? Or did I do it right, but the hardware just can't take it?

Those timings are too tight, try 5-5-5-15. They're not all amazing OCers.

And mabe add on some extra cooling, your sticks may be running very hot.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was wondering about keeping the ram cool. I ordered some fans last night. I'm sure it will help.

Did a search on DRAM Throttling Threshold. Seems like no one really knows what it's for, but everyone seems to have it disabled. I'll try that also.

Back