• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech Radiator and 120x38mm Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamcaster

Registered
Hey guys,

Gonna be picking up the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra Watercooling Kit soon and would like to install two 120x38mm panaflos onto it.

My question is -

what type\kind of screws would i need to mount the 38mm fans to the rad/case/grill?

i believe the ones that come with the kit are for 120x25mm fans only and would not be long enough.

Dreamcaster said:
Hey guys,

Gonna be picking up the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra Watercooling Kit soon and would like to install two 120x38mm panaflos onto it.

My question is -

what type\kind of screws would i need to mount the 38mm fans to the rad/case/grill?

i believe the ones that come with the kit are for 120x25mm fans only and would not be long enough.

You MAY need longer ones. You can pick them up at any hardware store. They are not hard to find.

I am using 3 M1A's on my Swifty Rad. I had to re-thread the holes to accept SAE machine screws because I could not find 3.5mm bolts ANYWHERE, not even online!

Dreamcaster said:
Hey guys,

My question is -

The MCR220 has M3.5 threaded holes. For a 38mm fan you'll probably want a screw at least 45mm long. Surprisingly, McMaster carries M3.5 screws up to 40mm in length (at least I couldn't find anything longer) which may be long enough for your mounting the fans directly to the radiator. However, they're probably just barely too short to go through the fan and case and have enough threads left to hold securely. That's providing you have to go through the entire thickness of the fan housing. Try a local hardware store or home center. You might also try "forcing" a slightly larger diameter thread cutting screw or using a slightly smaller diameter screw with enough thread contact to hold, but that wouldn't be the way I'd do it.

Personally, I'm partial to socket head cap screws and stocked up on various lenghts in M4 x .5 thread size a while back and bought a hand tap to go along with it. I rarely use the mounting screws that come with some parts, preferring to drill and tap my own mounting holes.

hah, I was just going to go to ace hardware today to find some screws for my mcr220 and denkis. This thread defiantly helps narrow down the threads on these screws. I'll post if I'm able to find something.

Back