• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-DLX and Chipset cooling..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aalelan

Registered
At some point i'm going to be upgrading my MB to the P5B-Dlx. I have always been a chipset cooler kinda guy, and that leads me to my question.. This board worries me, in the fact that they use a heatpipe that connects the NB and the Voltage Regulator.. I'm sure I could remove all of this and find a cooling solution for the VReg but I wanted to see if anyone has already done it.. The whole not wanting to reinvent the wheel and maybe not make as many mistakes :)

I currently have a Maze4 on my 925XE chipset and was just going to keep using that when I get the new board..

I know it may not be 100% necessary to WC the NB but it's not adding to much restriction to my loop and I like the way it looks :cool:

Thanks in advance...

You don't have to worry about mosfets if you want to cool northbridge. It is more like a gimmick than actual necessity. P5b dlx is a 8 phase board, thus it has 8 chokes and 2 mosfets for each choke for total of 16 mosfets. That little heatsink barely covers 8 of them. The other half is above the socket without any heatsink/s. Out of these 8 that little heatsink covers 4 of them are fully covered and other 4 are half way covered. Gigabyte's DS3 and Asus P5B are 3 phase and come without any heatsinks covering mosfets. Asus recently released the super premium board. The most eye poping feature is the amount of heatpipes and heatsinks.

Back