• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 Gigs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cothor

Registered
I am considering buying 2 more gigs of ram. I have been searching google for some info on the benefits as far as gaming is concerned and have found mixed thoughts.

Is it true that windows xp will only recognize up to 3 gigs of ram?

Can 4 gigs of ram make windows xp unstable?

Would 4 gigs of ram be beneficial to upcoming games such as vanguard saga of heroes?

Thanks.

Sticks with 2 Gigs, unless you have some software that can utilize it. It won't improve gaming unless the game uses more then 2 Gigs of ram which I'm not aware of any out. WinXP Home/Pro will see 3.xx gigs of it, WinXP 64 I think can see up to about 12 gigs give or take.

twEEkerAreUs said:
Sticks with 2 Gigs, unless you have some software that can utilize it. It won't improve gaming unless the game uses more then 2 Gigs of ram which I'm not aware of any out. WinXP Home/Pro will see 3.xx gigs of it, WinXP 64 I think can see up to about 12 gigs give or take.
It can handle up to 4 gigs. you just have to turn off the pagefiles. its just not that common since some programs actually use the pagefile even if theres still free ram.

My photoshop computer has 4GB's of ram in it and I don't really notice it being any faster than my other computers with 2GB's. It been the same story as far as gaming goes, but I haven't played many of the newer releases

Ya, the only reason I wanted 4Gbs was because I do a ton of work with virtual PC and being able to dedicate between 512 MB and 1Gb per virtual machine that is running makes a big difference. Other than that I can't think of any real reasons why you would want that much RAM.

~jtjuska

2GB is enough for a while now. Most games now and upcoming will run well on 1gb. 2Gb will secure all of the bases. 4gb would be for someone that uses programs that require massive amount of memory.

Back