• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone installed a water cooling setup in an Antec Solo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sgt_Strider

Registered
I'm just wondering if the water cooling stuff will fit into the case. I'm specifically looking at the Swiftech cooling kit series since the radiator can be installed outside. I'm just wondering if the radiator can be placed where the rear 120mm fan is located?

Any case can have a water cooling setup... Even in the HTPC world I have helped people choose watercooling, and their is NO room in their cases. The product choices range from complete external systems, to drive bay based pump/resivor combos, to rear mounted radiators, to internal radiators with custom cut holes.

So the answer for me is, NO I havent installed a water cooling setup in an Antec Solo... but I can, without much problems...

Mike

INFO

I just today installed a nice system in one of the Enermax cheap mid/small tower systems.

MPC655 pump
DD GPU block modified for prescot with home made mounting bracket.
Dual 80 radiator with dual 80 fans.
All the hoses and the tline.....everything fit.

That is a micro ATX intel board to give you an idea of size.

I happened to take some pictures earlier because I built the system for a Science lap project for my kids schoo. The 6,7,8 science clases are going to use it to teach convection......conduction.........all those cons. Take a look

DSC00387.jpg

No, I wouldn't use cable ties if it were for me. It is only a temporary setup for the school so I can get away with it .. :)

Welcome to the forums.

I would be hesitant about doing my first WC build within the constraints of a small form factor case.
But I'm the guy who likes things big, with lots of room for my hands to get in and repair what I will eventualy break.

LOL

Sleepy_Steve said:
Welcome to the forums.

I would be hesitant about doing my first WC build within the constraints of a small form factor case.
But I'm the guy who likes things big, with lots of room for my hands to get in and repair what I will eventualy break.
Oh, I did my first one outside of the case completely except the cpu block of course. I had everything sitting in a Rubbermaid tote in case it leaked. I was lucky and never had any trouble. I am not sure if Im just good or lucky, but I'll take it either way.

I just bought an External Thermal Take Radiator. It was my only option for my system. That or spend a week making a set of brackets for a current 3x120mm Radiator, that would put it on the back, and allow access with hinges. I spent an hour in the warehouse at frozencpu... They were so busy, it was hard for me to get someone who was free who could cut me 5 feet of 8mm tube. (turns out Home Depot doesnt carry metric hoses)

The Koolance...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...y_Mounted_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s161

Which can be bought from new egg for $50 less. It is mounted on the rear of the case, and can not be removed easily. It gives about 6-8 inches of clearance, but with a HTPC, you wont have enough room on a Audio Rack, and hooking the cables to the back would be nearly impossible.

The one I bought is
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...orsports_Radiator_CL-W0098.html?tl=g30c95s160

Not the best option, but with a low flow system like mine, and a goal of simply removing the CPU heat from the inside of the case, it is a reasonable solution. The pump Im using is week... but I had it from my first build were I bought a german made, pre-assembled coolermaster case with the CoolRad already mounted, the Alphacool AGB (which is a weak pump) and a Alphacool Nexxos. All I needed to buy for this watercooling setup, was some 8mm L joints with compresson fittings (to get the pump inputs and outputs to fit in the case), and the radiator. I even have a Flow Meter that hooks up to a fan plug (which is only good for low flow systems). That was a lesson I learned... Dont buy flow meters unless you dont care about your flow, or if you only have 1 l/min.

Last edited:
Back