• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling on a bobslay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryeguy

Registered
Hey guys, I have a bobslay (see here: http://www.modthebox.com/reviews/mountainmods/bobslay/bobslay9.jpg), which is a pretty small case.

I think I want to watercool, except I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it in my case. I've measured some empty space on the bottom level of my case and it looks like I'd have room for a Black Ice Micro II (dual 80mm). Would this be efficient enough to cool my video card AND cpu or should I just go for high end air cooling?

Another thing that I was wondering is would I be able to mount 2 Black Ice Extreme 120.1's on the inside of my case on each of the 120mm fan mounts I have? Can you even do that? Then just put the fan on radiator so it's like Casewall-rad-fan-inside of case-fan-rad-casewall?

Last edited:
ryeguy said:
Another thing that I was wondering is would I be able to mount 2 Black Ice Extreme 120.1's on the inside of my case on each of the 120mm fan mounts I have? Can you even do that? Then just put the fan on radiator so it's like Casewall-rad-fan-inside of case-fan-rad-casewall?

Sure, there's no reason why not. So long as air moves through the radiator you're fine. Some spots are more optimal than others but It doesn't really matter how you mount it.

Are those 120mm fan holes? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a 1x120mm rad is better than a 2x80mm rad.

My friend has a Bob Slay case, and we did a full WC install in it. We mounted a 120mmx38mm fan and a swiftech 120mm rad on each end on the outside of the case, and drilled two holes on each end for the tubing to come through. We mounted a D5 in the bottom of the case next to the cd drives, and installed waterblocks on the videocard, chipset, and cpu. I think the order was pump>video card>rad1>chipset>cpu>rad2>pump. We used a simple t-line, and it worked great. There is enough room in the case to run 7/16" tubing. He used 3/8" tubing, then we tried some of my 7/16" tygon, and it would have fit just fine.

Good luck with it if you go for it.

Vaio said:
My friend has a Bob Slay case, and we did a full WC install in it. We mounted a 120mmx38mm fan and a swiftech 120mm rad on each end on the outside of the case, and drilled two holes on each end for the tubing to come through. We mounted a D5 in the bottom of the case next to the cd drives, and installed waterblocks on the videocard, chipset, and cpu. I think the order was pump>video card>rad1>chipset>cpu>rad2>pump. We used a simple t-line, and it worked great. There is enough room in the case to run 7/16" tubing. He used 3/8" tubing, then we tried some of my 7/16" tygon, and it would have fit just fine.

Good luck with it if you go for it.
What gpu waterblock did you use? I heard that it's hard to put one on without modifying the top of the case.

Back