• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MY WC loop is not performing as well as I would hope

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Using a mcp 350 with red impeller and BIX radiator. Hve a sanyo denki 120MM fan in a pull configuration using long screws and washers to make a 1/2" gap between Fan and radiator, sealed gap with electrical tape... then use longscrews to mount fan to back of case, also have a 5.25" drive resevoir. All 1/2" tubing.

Running orthos after 2 hours at 2.75GHz 1.4vcore, Am hitting 48C load temps! (actually pulled everything out of case to test this. Idle temps were 28C

I dont think I hit those kind of temps running my little zalman air cooler. Warmer idle, cooler load. Is using the fan in a pull configuration wrong? Is there something else I am missing? Like maybe ditch the res and add a t-Line?

You might want to try bolting the fan right to the RAD, the electrical tape sounds interesting and might not be a good fit. How is the water block fitting?

If setup properly there shouldn't be temp difference between using a res or a t-line.

What block are you using, and are you sure the water is routed properly?

His fan mount is fine. Might be his proc seating though. I hate 2 rod mounts.

Yah pretty sure the block is mounted well just pulled it off to mod the pwm heatsink cuz those bad boys get REALLY hot. Even with a fan blowing on it was over 60C.

Using as5 on the CPU, assume it sa good connection, trying to wobble the block I flexed the mobo rather then getting any wiggle room.
Oh yah block is a swifttech storm 1/2 barbs.

EDIT... Routing is Pump out to center block barb.. offset barb to RAD.. rad to res, res to top of pump.

Too the best of my ability yes..

Filled the loop.. ran it.. did my best to "pulse" it. Tilted the res so that all air ran up to the fill point opened and applied more liquid.

Did that a couple of times.. cant get all the air out because the res has a sunken fill point so that it will fit in the bay? So left with a pocket of air in the res.. not big.. .but there

How far are the springs supposed to be compressed on the block? I didnt mash them completely down... I think I read before htat you are supposed to leave some space in them? just "compress" them a bit?

Just re-as5'ed the CPU (found a good method for spreading too, use the PWM heatsink). And getting ready to put it all back together. Since its out of the case now I will see if I can force in somemore liquid too.

If there is air in the res that is okay as long as it doesn't get sucked through the tubes and into the system.

I've got a couple of questions.
1. What specific model # of fan are you using? or do you know the CFM/pressure?
2. Does your fan have enough CFM/pressure for a black ice Extreme?
3. Does your exhaust fan (back of case) direct air to the rad?
4. Have you tried a PUSH~pull configuration?

I would give it a day and see if you still get high temps tomorrow. Give the AS5 a little time to settle.

Also you could try tilting your case to make sure there are no hidden bubbles anywhere. There's probably a bubble hiding somewhere.

Okay not sure what I did wrong but what was orthos stable for an hour and a half now fails in 1 sec :bang head

Yah 1 fan rad came with hte kit, thought it would be a good start up kit. Forgot that I have a rather steep hardware curve LOL

Next rad is going to be a 2 or 3 fan wide fin rad so I can get by with some uber quiet fans :)

RIG RIDER said:
I've got a couple of questions.
1. What specific model # of fan are you using? or do you know the CFM/pressure?
2. Does your fan have enough CFM/pressure for a black ice Extreme?
3. Does your exhaust fan (back of case) direct air to the rad?
4. Have you tried a PUSH~pull configuration?

1. 109R1212H1011
2. I beleive so its loud as hell
3. I was actually using it as an exhaust fan. (CM stacker T01 case) I took the rear 120 out and mounted the fan and rad there. Its actually caseless right now though
4. No I havent tried push pull because I did not have 2 identical fans. I do have 2 fans now though, but they are low CFM quiet fans (came withthe stacker case)

Oddly, I used to have the nidec BetaV on there which is not nearly as loud as the denki, but did a good job cooling my FX55, I guess I am going to have to put it back on and see where that goes.

INFO

I realize that some people disagree on this, but I would set the loop up like this.

pump out ===> radiator in-----radiator out ===> cpu in ===> cpu out ===>
resevoir in----resevoir out ===> pump in.

That is how you get the absolutely coolest water into the cpu possible.

Mine is a presler since you are gonna say the load temps are the same. It used to be 60c at load.

jph1589 said:
I realize that some people disagree on this, but I would set the loop up like this.

pump out ===> radiator in-----radiator out ===> cpu in ===> cpu out ===>
resevoir in----resevoir out ===> pump in.

That is how you get the absolutely coolest water into the cpu possible.

Mine is a presler since you are gonna say the load temps are the same. It used to be 60c at load.

But still, that is irrelevant. You don't need the coldest water going to the CPU because you are running a closed watercooling loop, not an open loop or a single-pass setup. Once you are running in a loop then you automatically disregard any things that apply to single-passes.

So.....

SolidxSnake said:
But still, that is irrelevant. You don't need the coldest water going to the CPU because you are running a closed watercooling loop, not an open loop or a single-pass setup. Once you are running in a loop then you automatically disregard any things that apply to single-passes.

Are you going to tell me the water coming out of the radiator is the same temp as the water going into the radiator?

jph1589 said:
Are you going to tell me the water coming out of the radiator is the same temp as the water going into the radiator?

he's talking about equilibrium. at the start of the watercooling. (when at room temp) it might work a bit better, but once that water heats up, it'll all be pretty much the same

Not true

darkcow said:
he's talking about equilibrium. at the start of the watercooling. (when at room temp) it might work a bit better, but once that water heats up, it'll all be pretty much the same
That really isn't possible. When the cpu is idle, it may come close to being true, but under a load the water coming out of the radiator is the coolest water in the loop. So that is the water that you want going into the cpu. It is only logical.

jph1589 said:
That really isn't possible. When the cpu is idle, it may come close to being true, but under a load the water coming out of the radiator is the coolest water in the loop. So that is the water that you want going into the cpu. It is only logical.

Your logic is partially flawed. Water loops should be designed so that it uses the least amount of tubing possible for maximum flowrate. The only time order matters is that the Res/T-line needs to be place before the intake of the pump so that it can be primed.

The difference between the water entering the rad and exiting the rad and entering is only about .1C max. Any more than than you've got flowrate issues. It's more important that the waterblock gets the maximum flowrate possible in order to induce turbulence inside the waterblock so that more water come in contact with the copper and carries away the heat. Better flowrate also has the same effect inside a radiator.

Back