• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ram SPD flashing tool for DDR2 available

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
For those of you in need, W1zzard of TechPowerUp, has released an SPD edit/flashing tool. Since Thiaphoon Burner does not seem to be supported anymore, this might come in handy.

Linky:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=20349

Heck, if nothing else change the description of the RAM from what the manufacturer inserts to something personal. :D

Of course, you can bet that the instant you use this proggie, your warranty scoots out the door.

If possible, I think that it would be good if we started a database, just like was done in the Thiaphoon Burner thread, but instead with dumps of DDR2 SPDs that could be available for repairing corrupted ram (or experimenting).

Last edited:
I have only used Thiaphoon Burner so far, but with that program I've flashed at least 10 pairs of ram. I've never edited the SPD myself as this program allows so I don't know what kind of damage you can do. IMHO there is no reason for people to be playing around with this program. If you flash your SPD timings to something too tight you could have problems booting and while it's fun to make up your own company names and flash them to your memory it's a risky thing to do if your memory dies and you have no way to flash back before an RMA

nd4spdbh2 said:
yes but the ram company doesnt have to know you did this :beer: you could always flash back to the original.

Just to give some heads up, but if you happen to flash your memory with SPD dumb that is not working or you change something from the original SPD and happen to face the issue that you're unable to make your system to boot with the memory module you edited the SPD for, manufacturers can easily see if SPD is edited.

Manufacturers do have a strong and valid point for this and its not that they want to be mean for customers, but they want to get RMA rate as low as possible and therefore offer cheaper products for users :)

Guys by putting in spd that the stick is bigger than it is is not gaining you anything, only voiding warranty and potentially rendering yout mem stick useless. This is a useful but dangerous tool, be careful. :)

I can only see this as potentially useful to alleviate conflicts. Maybe you like low-latency RAM, but your board doesn't. Something like that. Seems a bit iffy, but it's a cool program, nonetheless.

In my mind, I can only justify the use of proggies like this (a) for repairing corrupted sticks, such as those UTT sticks that appeared to have died, but in some cases could be salvaged, or (2) modifying the SPD to make the ram compatible with your mobo...for example, there are some boards that will not boot with PC2-3200 and some of the OEM sticks with Micron D9DQW chips are spec'ed as PC2-3200 and by flashing them with the SPD from PC2-4200 or PC2-5400 modules you can get them to work, also, the KHX PC3000 will not run 1:1 on an MSI Neo2 Plat (NF3) mobo and flashing the sticks with the SPD of some KHX PC3200 will fix the issue. The third reason would be if you had two similar modules, using the same PCB and ICs, but with slightly different default timings and you wanted to run them together...by flashing one with the SPD of the other you could perhaps increase the compatibility of the modules.

Of course, there is that certain coolness factor of seeing the Manufacturer pop up as "Reefa-Built" instead of "Kingston" in CPU-Z. :D

On a serious note, as I mentioned in the OP, I would like to see us start a database of SPD dumps for DDR2 modules that could be available for members to retrieve, as needed.

What is done with those dumps is, of course, up to the individuals and at their own risk.

Edit:
It appears that newer versions of the proggie (.053 and beyond) have an upload feature to accumulate these SPD dumps. I've posted an inquiry over at the TPU thread on this topic inquiring as to where these dumps are and will share the link as soon as I know it.

Last edited:
It works with regular ddr as well. I like the compre feature which highlights the hex that is different throughout. It also highlights the corresponding timing feature below when the cursor is on a hex number so you can see what the hex number is changing. Very cool program.

Reefa_Madness said:
On a serious note, as I mentioned in the OP, I would like to see us start a database of SPD dumps for DDR2 modules that could be available for members to retrieve, as needed.

What is done with those dumps is, of course, up to the individuals and at their own risk.

Edit:
It appears that newer versions of the proggie (.053 and beyond) have an upload feature to accumulate these SPD dumps. I've posted an inquiry over at the TPU thread on this topic inquiring as to where these dumps are and will share the link as soon as I know it.

The dumps are available on the TechPowerUp site, under the Memory Database link showing along the left side of the page. Select the memory that you need from the list and you will end up with a description of the ram, along with the SPD info and a link to the download.

Below is link to an example, using some Corsair sticks.

http://www.techpowerup.com/memdb/details.php?id=4

Clearly this proggie is new and the database is limited. Perhaps we can all contribute a little bit to it as time and ram permits.

Back