• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small server memory requirments?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It depends on the OS. You can get away with as little as 128-384MB for a web server. But the more the better. For light duty, don't waste money going over 512MB.

So my "OLD NAVY", see signature, should deal with it? I think it will have only 256 MB since I will sell the 512 module. What OS would be the best for that?

windows 2000 maybe. or you can do what someone did, and strip down xp. alot. there was a thread a little while ago where someone ran xp on a 8mhz cpu w/19 megs of ram. ofcourse it took 1/2 hour to load.

Win2k or XP pro. They both have IIS. Or you can run a linux distro. Honestly, I'd hold onto the RAM since you already have it installed. If you wind up running a game server, you'll want the extra RAM to deal with any overhead that could cause the system to lag.

FWIW, I have an XP 2200+ w/ 512MB RAM running as a .NET/IIS webserver.

One last thing- if you plan on not logging into the server regularly, you'll need less RAM.

Back