• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech Storm with Socket A??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoBePmp

I just got my Storm and the instructions say that for socket A I have to remove the pre installed hold-down plate prior to installation. Is this really necessary? It also says to use the nylon washers instead of the metal ones, why is that? I would think the metal washers would make for a stronger seal.

SoBePmp said:
I just got my Storm and the instructions say that for socket A I have to remove the pre installed hold-down plate prior to installation. Is this really necessary? It also says to use the nylon washers instead of the metal ones, why is that? I would think the metal washers would make for a stronger seal.

Yes, the hold-down plate, I believe, screws into the 4 holes on the block that match up with the Socket A mounting holes. I believe the nylon washers are for more flexibility to prevent damaging the CPUs core (as I believe all Socket A CPUs are open-die, and not IHS'ed).

Remember to check if it can clear the capacitors around the CPU socket, as IIRC the storms and apogee's can't be mounted on alot of socket A mobo's due to the caps interfering with the hold down pates.

I didn't have any problems with the capacitors but did have an issue with the MB power supply plug & the Apogee. A little trimming and it works OK but for a minute there I thought I was screwed ...

Back