• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macadonious

Is there a benfit to cooling the Northbridge and/or Southbridge? i know what they do, but I cannot imagin the point of cooling them with water. Will someone enlightn me on this issue. pros and cons

i don't believe in it, i mean. if your on the super high end of overclocking with an e6600 and a $200 mobo it might be in order.

i much prefer just replacing the stock grease with AS5 and ghetto rig a quiet fan onto it.

personally i like the clean and quiet approch and since the water is already there .... also as darkcow mentioned the new E6xxx's are definately showing improvement in oc'ability when the southbridge has advanced cooling

I cool mine for A: Quietness B: over all cooler case temp C: Longetivity, cool silicon is happy silicon.

Now my whole system is that much cooler inside and runs happy and stable. Some say it is pointles, there are standing facts on both sides so it comes down to pref and money, if you have the money and prefer to do it then go for it.

I can say I do not regret doing it one bit at all, and rather happy I did even after liscening to all the nayers.

I replaced the puny little heatsink that DFI put on my NB, it was sitting at around 60C idle!.
I've watercooled mine for years and will always. I even built my custom loop/case to do so ahead of time.

BTW, the block was only $8, so there's little chance of aircooling it for such a low price (I hit Gemini's liquidation sale when they got out of the business).

Well it depends, cooling of the chipset with water is usually not nessecary even if you clock it like mad, a decent chipset cooler should do the trick.

I'll probably end up picking up some watercooling crap on Black Friday, and this will probably be on my list.

I don't know, it's just more bling, especially if you're running dual loop. Also, with my chipset watercooled, I essentially eliminate all fans/most of the heat in the top section of my case where all the components are, so it's a really attractive solution.

Seven said:
I'll probably end up picking up some watercooling crap on Black Friday, and this will probably be on my list.

I don't know, it's just more bling, especially if you're running dual loop. Also, with my chipset watercooled, I essentially eliminate all fans/most of the heat in the top section of my case where all the components are, so it's a really attractive solution.

do you know of anywhere selling a triple radiator?

Thanks guys. This is good info. I did not think it was worth cooling the NB or SB, especially the SB, with water. I always felt a good HS and fan would do the trick for those to areas.:santa:

jab-tech looks tasty. thx.

o yea. we also havn't talked about the amount of restriction these NB coolers do. so you can affect your CPU temps considerably if you have a bad block. so be carful

^^True enough, be carefull of what you get.
My (single) loop runs parallel, not series, so the little passages in my NB block don't actually change the flow to the cpu block.

Diggrr said:
^^True enough, be carefull of what you get.
My (single) loop runs parallel, not series, so the little passages in my NB block don't actually change the flow to the cpu block.

Any idea how that affects flow rate, I have been kicking that around for a while but some problems keep bugging me like my CPU block is the most restrictive block I have and water takes the path of least resistence. Also have you ever tried series and if you did was there a temp difference.

No. I only use higher flow blocks, and I haven't tried a series config because of my 1" feed tubing from my pump/rad.
I'm using a mount-converted Gemini Spiral right now, until my next homebuilt is ready (engineering a holddown).

If you'll look for a second at my Further link in my sig, I flared the copper tubing that feeds my cpu block (center tube) and inserted it further up into the manifold feed pipe before soldering it into place, so it gets a whole lot more flow than the other two legs, at least until backpressure evens things out.
Basically, it takes what it can and gives the rest to my NB and heatercore. That's why I used the T's as manifolds. The little NB block, being so small, actually helps put more pressure into the cpu block.

Thanks Diggr I think my loop will end up being fairly balanced for restriction right now since my GPU and Chipset blocks restriction ends up around my CPU blocks restriction. I'll probably give some kind of a manifold a shot though if I go with new CPU block.

Back