• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel stock heat sink to Water cooling System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bad99

Registered
I recently build a pc for gaming, my system specs was:

CoolerMaster Stacker 830 RC-830 Silver Case
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
Asus P5N32-SLi SE Deluxe
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2
Hiper 580W Type-R Modular
Asus GeForce 7950 GX2
2 X Western Digital Raptor 150GB WD1500ADFD
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music

At the moment I am using the Intel heat sinc & fan that came with my processor, I was going to buy an Arctic Cooling frezeer 7 Pro but I change my mind and want a water cooling to cool my CPU, Chipset and it will be compatible with BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX Water Cooled Edition. Now I dont know which is better and what to buy the custom build water cooling or a complete set of water cooiling system. I am willing to dig a hole in my Pc case if necessary.

A Swiftech Apogee and MCW30 will cool your CPU and chipset well. Get an DDC+ (a.k.a. MCP355) pump and 10ft of Masterklear tubing from mcmaster.com. IIRC the BFG 8800WC comes with a block made by Danger Den which includes barbs for 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" tubing so you'll be fine. The DDC+ is a 3/8" pump so you'll have to get 3/8" tubing and make sure you get 3/8" fittings with your blocks.

Be careful with thin walled tubing on a DDC+. I inadvertently got one of the first without knowing it and hooked it up to some 3/8ID 1/2OD and that little pump collapsed a length of tubing. Although I found that a piece of 3/8ID x 1/2OD over the DDC fitting then my 7/16ID x 11/16OD tubing over that will create a very tight seal.

Usually its better to just avoid thin walled tubing in general. I have a pump that will only use thin walled tubing (stupid compression fittings) and I will soon be switching to standard barbs because they're just a lot easier to use.

Back