• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512 or 1GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Legion2005

Alright I know this might be a newb question, but I'd hate to buy the wrong stick of memory.

I would like to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227209 for my system. Im not sure if I can because I have 2 out of the 3 RAM slots used up already. I hear that I might need single sided RAM if I want to put a stick in that 3rd slot. Is this correct, or would I be ok with buying this piece?

Thanks for your time,
Legion

according to the manual, you can install any of the following sizes in the dimm slots: 64, 128, 256, 512, and 1gig.

So, you're probably good to go on maxin out your ram.

Defo go 1GB if you can with XP it's needed so you don't have to shout when doing 2 things at once and it can't do it cos of slowness. I am currently in a debate on if I should sell my 1GB kit I have installed now and just buy a 1GB module which is GEIL and has the same timings. Just want to know if I will loose out with not having Dual Channel for a while I don't think I would.

I will be getting another 1GB module 3 weeks after.

Oh yah.. im running 4x512 in my board, and even though I dropped from 2x512 at cas2 to 4 at cas2.5 everything is so much faster and it just snaps. Even with NO overclock :)

Neur0mancer said:
Oh yah.. im running 4x512 in my board, and even though I dropped from 2x512 at cas2 to 4 at cas2.5 everything is so much faster and it just snaps. Even with NO overclock :)

If I moved from 1gb dual channel kit to a single PC3200 1GB module also from GEIL same series actually the value one. Would I notice any drop just using 1GB stick instead of 2x 512mb sticks. It would only be for about 3 weeks maybe before I will get another 1GB.

You can get the single GB stick now and run it with your 512s maybe. Alot of the 3 slot dimm mobos support DC with a GB and 2 512s...

However I would say wait for 3 weeks and get a DC kit of 2GB. You will not only save money buy getting a kit vice 2 single sticks... but be getting a set that is guarenteed to match :)

Either way, you will love having 2GB (I know people that game with no Pagefile on 2x512, but I cant do it. I get out of Virtual memory errors. But wit h2GB of RAM im running no PF and have a video game minimized opera running 2 messenger clients and multiple torrents :) Plus all the normal background stuff like automatic updates, Antivirus, Windows Mail etc )

Alright, I'll go with another gig :)

I dont know if it'd be worth me waiting on the dual channel kits just because I know that my MB doesnt support DC. I'd also have a 512MB stick I wouldnt know what to do with :)

Anyways, thanks for the replies everyone, I greatly appreciate it.

Back