• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Matching my FSB with DDR2 Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unst4blec0d3r

Registered
Hi,

This is a novice question I'm sure, but I was unable to find a clear answer in the stickies that I read.

I'm looking to buy a ASUS P5N32-E SLI Socket T motherboard, which states it has a 1333/1066/800MHz FSB. It also states that the memory "standard" is DDR2 800

I'm also purchasing an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor which states it has a 1066 FSB.

Do I want to get DDR2 1066 Ram to go with this setup? Or simply the DDR2 800. I'm a little confused on this topic.

This may or may not make sense, but I will try my best. Your E6600 has a FSB of 266*4 (quad pumped) to get 1066. DDR2 800 stock real speed is 400, so in order to get your memory to stock you would have to run the FSB at 400 which would be 400*4 or 1600 market language. Basically they have the "Marketed" speed and then there is the "Real" speed. The Marketed speed is what is used to make things sound really fast and cool when in reality it is still fast and cool just not as big of numbers.

Man I hope that makes sense.

~jtjuska

jtjuska said:
This may or may not make sense, but I will try my best. Your E6600 has a FSB of 266*4 (quad pumped) to get 1066. DDR2 800 stock real speed is 400, so in order to get your memory to stock you would have to run the FSB at 400 which would be 400*4 or 1600 market language. Basically they have the "Marketed" speed and then there is the "Real" speed. The Marketed speed is what is used to make things sound really fast and cool when in reality it is still fast and cool just not as big of numbers.

Man I hope that makes sense.

~jtjuska

Wow, thanks for that explanation. I can't say it makes total sense, but maybe after I digest it for a bit. What would you say the bottom line is for purchasing Ram for that board? DDR2 800 or DDR2 1066?

DDR2 800 should be just fine unless you plan on overclocking well above 400FSB (or 1600 depending on how you look at it). The E6600 at 400FSB will be doing 3.6GHz so I would say that is very respectable for Air Cooling.

Bottom Line, I would say DDR2 800.

~jtjuska

ps, as for which DDR2 800 that is a toss up but I think that I would go with Team Group or G.Skills HZ set, may need someone else to verify the best ram to use though

ddr2-800 is fine if you get some proper ddr2 and so you can set the ratio 1:1 and still be stable (meaning it overclocks well). DDR2-1066 isn't necessary, but if you have some extra cash to waste, toss some in. But that's the same with any extravagance.

All the evil numbers relate to your bus speed. It's not exactly market language since DDR2 doubles instruction on the rise and fall of the clock. If you want to refer to market language, it would resemble more of PC-8000=1066, pc-6400=800, etc. Intel standards for ram manufacturers so that people could be assured they are getting up to specification products. But that's different from "compliant" :p.
Your bus x 4= FSB
bus x 2= DDR2 speed
bus x multi= cpu speed.

All the evil numbers relate to your bus speed. It's not exactly market language since DDR2 doubles instruction on the rise and fall of the clock. If you want to refer to market language, it would resemble more of PC-8000=1066, pc-6400=800, etc. Intel standards for ram manufacturers so that people could be assured they are getting up to specification products. But that's different from "compliant" :p.

Your bus x 4= FSB
bus x 2= DDR2 speed
bus x multi= cpu speed.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say in the beginning just someone else did it better ;).

Edited to clean up the post for accuracy
~jtjuska

A REALLY simple way to think of it...

you ideally want ur RAM frequency and your FSB frequency to be running the same. you FSB FREQUENCY is 266mhz. ddr2-800 ram FREQUENCY is 400mhz. If you buy this ram the frequency can simply be clocked down to 266 and bingo ur running and speeds that you want to be running at. what you could also do however is overclock your FSB to 400 and you will also be running at sychronous frequencies but you have the added bonus of having ur processor now operating much faster (as was explained previously) there are many other things that you can do when changing FSB and RAM frequencies but those 2 are the simplest.i hope that that helped a little.

ps ddr2 1066 is a COMPLETE waste of money unless you are an EXtreme overclocker. its just NOT worth the money

Then, If by some maracle, you get it past 3.6 ghz on air cooling, just fool with the timings, since I think ddr2 800 is the lowest ddr2 ram, so I doubt that the mobo would have a lower divider.

Actually DDR2 400 is the lowest I believe (its PC2 4200, I know this as I have 2 sticks of it in this computer for the moment). It is possibly lower, but isn't worth it even to go as low as I did. Anyways, DDR2 800 is the best buy IMO.

~jtjuska

For what it's worth,

DDR400 = PC2-3200 (FSB = 200) (I've only seen it in early OEM DDR2)
DDR533 = PC2-4200 (FSB = 265)
DDR675 = PC2-5300/5400 (FSB = 333)
DDR800 = PC2-6400 (FSB = 400)
DDR1000 = PC2-8000 (FSB = 500)

Will Eatforfood said:
675 is the overclocked version. There should be a slightly slower one (negligible). Otherwise, mentioning that would require u to mention pc2-4300. :p

Was this post a reply of sorts to mine?

If so, I don't quite get it. My post was intended to clarify/correct the comment in post #10 that appeared to indicate that DDR2-400 was PC4200.

It was not intended to be a complete listing of all possible speed ratings, just the more common ones up to DDR500.

unst4blec0d3r,
You'll need atleast DDR533 (PC2-4200) in order to run your CPU at stock frequency (9*FSB266=2400MHz).

DDR800 (PC2-6400) would be a safe choice if you want to overclock. Maxing the RAM's spec would yield 9*FSB400=3600MHz.

BUT, a quality kit of DDR667 (PC2-5300) would be a allround balanced solution. For example TeamGroup DDR667 3-3-3-8 kits can usually be oc'ed to ~DDR1000 and up.

I'm completely new to a lot of this myself, I know it's doing better than rated but can a person with better understanding give me an idea of what I should call 'good enough'? I'm running 2.05v to reach the settings here, and right now the temp in my house is too high to really push it. Would 2.25v be too high for these and would I be increasing performance if I relax the timings to get more fsb or going backwards?

This is my ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220095

And a screenshot but not tested orthos stable yet. (3.5 passed)
http://mybeta.imagepile.net/images/27364untitled-1.jpg

largon said:
unst4blec0d3r,
You'll need atleast DDR533 (PC2-4200) in order to run your CPU at stock frequency (9*FSB266=2400MHz).

DDR800 (PC2-6400) would be a safe choice if you want to overclock. Maxing the RAM's spec would yield 9*FSB400=3600MHz.

BUT, a quality kit of DDR667 (PC2-5300) would be a allround balanced solution. For example TeamGroup DDR667 3-3-3-8 kits can usually be oc'ed to ~DDR1000 and up.

When I first started looking into going c2d I did a bit of research and DDR2 800 was really a marketing ploy. Whether that has changed I do not know, there is a LOT more DDR2 available now. But at the time the dr667 value kits could clock just as fast as the good 800 kits, they just need 2+ volts to do so. Since there was no differnce in price for the value 667/800 then go with 800.

Do the research though some no name brands are GREAT clockers (like the 2GB Adata Vitesta kit..667 runs 800 at 2.1v)

If any of this has changed hopefully teh ddr2 experienced people will let me know :clap:

just a quick question.

What is the difference if when you overclock your cpu to say 400 and leave the multi at 9 to get 3.6 to if you up'd the multipler and lowered the fsb . ie Multipler @ 10 and fsb at 360 = 3.6 ?????

or vis versa..... ie Mulitper @ 8 and fsb at 450. All of these setting give you a speed CPU speed of 3.6 but which is better and why??

So in short which is better(if any)

9 x 400 = 3.6
8 x 450 = 3.6
10 x 360 = 3.6

(if your Memory can take it of course)

Soz for such a stupid question, just would like to know

first off...on an intel CPU you cant change the multiplier but if you could, raising the fsb makes the CPU faster than the multiplier because raising the fsb increases bandwith

Bageland2000 said:
first off...on an intel CPU you cant change the multiplier but if you could, raising the fsb makes the CPU faster than the multiplier because raising the fsb increases bandwith

i thought the core duo has an unlocked multipler

Back