• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with New Crucial Ann. memory? How to test?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myrockfight

Registered
Ok. I ordered 2GB of Memory from newegg.

Crucial 240 pin DDR2 5300. Every time I put the second stick of memory in, windows will not load properly, and I am told I need a boot disk because a .dll file is corrupt or missing.

So instead of the dual channel set-up for the memory. I just stuck the second stick right next to the other so it is in the DIMM 2 slot. With the 0 and 2 slots filled, I still had a problem with it, but I could get windows started in safe mode.

Does this mean that the 2nd stick of RAM is explicitly to blame? I need to send it all back to newegg, if this is the case. If the RAM isn't to blame, then I need to figure out what is.

Next I am going to remove both sticks of RAM. Then I am going to take the "bad" stick and run it by itself, to see if that is actually the problem.

Any other ideas? Has anyone else had a problem with Crucial's anniversary edition 5300?

After running just the "bad" stick of memory, I got the 0x0000008E error. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335 is the microsoft page for the error.

It states:

CAUSE
This behavior may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
• One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that are installed on your computer are faulty.
• The RAM configuration is incompatible with Windows XP.

So I have to assume that the stick is faulty because the other stick is compatible.

Do you guys think I am going to have a problem with Newegg when I return this? It absolutely has not been overclocked or mishandled by not using anti-static procedures.

You shouldnt have any trouble returning your ram to newegg they are very good with there rma's .

sorry to hear you had probs with your new ram already. just send the bad one back to them and they will send you out another stick.

JP.MIGRAINE said:
You shouldnt have any trouble returning your ram to newegg they are very good with there rma's .

sorry to hear you had probs with your new ram already. just send the bad one back to them and they will send you out another stick.

Well they said they were out of the memory. So, I would have to send it all back if I wanted a refund. Do you think they would just refund the money for one stick? And maybe I could get Crucial to send me a new stick?

I did get the RAM in an OEM box. I didn't think about how they might not honor their warranty in that case.

Crucial will replace....

I just got off the phone with a tech support guy at Crucial. Apparantly they will replace the memory stick, but only after a month has lapsed because of their contract with the vendors.

Now the question is...do I want to wait a month to get my RAM replaced? Or do I just want to get new memory all together? Do you guys have any opinions on this matter? Or have you run across this problem yourself?

if you bought it as a set i am not sure they would refund for one , if it was in the same package, if you dont want to wait a month for crucial to replace it. i would just send both sticks back to newegg and have them exchange it for you. would be alot faster.

Back