• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please check my multi-rad setup, what do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

Hey there,

Multi-rad.JPG

In the attached pic is my plan for my current setup. I know this will hurt my flowrate but i cant fit any bigger rad. The mounting place for the heatercore is already cut from my last setup.

This setup is to cool my CPU, 7900GT, and chipset. (possibly my PSU as well)

I want my WC setup as quiet as possible. So hence i want to increase the cooling area.

For the pump i still dont know what to get. I'm looking at D5 and DDC. Which one is quieter?

Any inputs are welcome,

Thanks

DDC+ is the quietest pump I know of and I don't think there will be any arguement. With a loop like that you'll also need Petra's top to go with it as the stock top doesn't come close to the D5 for performance. I don't know about the PSU cooler but the DDC+ w/top should support an Apogee, MCW60, and MCW30 (for the chipset) even with all those rads ...

Last edited:
Ok so DDC is the quietest.

But what about this setup? Any comments? I dont know how worse would the flowrate be with one extra rad,

hey mame, it would probably be best if you kept everything as close as possible. putting the rad all the way at the top means you're adding a good 2ft of head that the pump needs to deal with, keeping them all the same level would help out a lot if thats possible..

don't bother with the psu cooler, its a lot of work if u want to do it yourself, i still have a psu thats in pieces because i just don't have time to get to it. you'd be better off getting one of those fanless psus, possibly even more cost effective.

Don't bother cooling psu. If you want to have quiet psu get something like seasonic s12 or m12 series or corsair psu it will be much better than fanless and watercooled. These psus will run below noise of your watercooling.

Also consider not getting chipest cooler, if you want to keep it quiet you might want to consider zalman, thermalright, noctua chipest coolers.

As goes for radiators, two might be enough. DDC will the quietest pump and if you mod it you will increase its flowrate. D5 has twice the heat dump of DDC

From what I've heard (not done any tests myself) the DDC+ w/top will out-perform a D5/MCP655. If that's true then the DDC+ will push through everything you've got with ease, I know my MCP655 could.

For a hair better performance keep the tubing runs as short as possible, regardless of the loop order. It really doesn't matter a lot what's where except the T-line/res needs to be in front of the pump ...

Korndog said:
hey mame, it would probably be best if you kept everything as close as possible. putting the rad all the way at the top means you're adding a good 2ft of head that the pump needs to deal with, keeping them all the same level would help out a lot if thats possible..

don't bother with the psu cooler, its a lot of work if u want to do it yourself, i still have a psu thats in pieces because i just don't have time to get to it. you'd be better off getting one of those fanless psus, possibly even more cost effective.

Hey Korndog, long time no see :beer: . I'm just back recently and starting all over again. I think will ditch that top rad. Altho my sketch does make it look like its very high.

For fanless PSU, the high wattage one is quite expensive and from the reviews they dont work as they're rated in term of performance. Maybe i will see if my PSU get too hot, i might just put 140mm fan in it.

The DDC is very quiet, while the DDC+ is just barely louder but has more power. A DDC+ with a top will outperform the D5 in pressure, flow, and noise.

You are going to have trouble trying to route all of the tubing for 3 small rads like that. A single dual rad or even a triple if you want to have really slow fans is going to be a much better solution.

You can always fit a bigger rad. A common way is to merely top mount the rad.

voigts said:
The DDC is very quiet, while the DDC+ is just barely louder but has more power. A DDC+ with a top will outperform the D5 in pressure, flow, and noise.

You are going to have trouble trying to route all of the tubing for 3 small rads like that. A single dual rad or even a triple if you want to have really slow fans is going to be a much better solution.

You can always fit a bigger rad. A common way is to merely top mount the rad.

I know bro, but like i said, i cant mount any bigger, no space. That sux and i only optimize with what i have.

About the pump, regarding of the noise is it high pitch(whining) sounds or is it low frequency sound? Because the high frequency can escape the case so even if its quieter, it cant be damped.

What case are are you mounting the rads in? Unless it is a micro ATX or something, there is space to mount a 120.3 rad... ever hear of where there is a will there is a way? Bust out that Dremel and get to work! =)

MameXP said:
I know bro, but like i said, i cant mount any bigger, no space. That sux and i only optimize with what i have.

About the pump, regarding of the noise is it high pitch(whining) sounds or is it low frequency sound? Because the high frequency can escape the case so even if its quieter, it cant be damped.

The DDC and DDC+ neither have a high pitch to them. The D5 has a much louder and higher pitched sound.

You can always mount a 120.3 using spacers on top and run the lines either through the top or through a pci bracket. A lot of people do that.

Or mount it on the bottom and give the case 1.5" legs.
Put some filters on the air inlets though. If anything, it makes a piece of paper sucked onto the rad openings more visible.

Back