• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air sucks, Diving Back In...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seven

Okay, with the build date for my new rig fast approaching, it's about time to organize my new watercooling setup and plan what I want.

I'll start with my goals for the system, based on my previous watercooling experience. My previous config was a polarflo TT chrome, 120.3, and a 50z.

Do's:

1) High performance, I want to be able to really see the performance boost from my setup this time.
2) 1/2" ID. Simply put.
3) Easy Monitoring, I'm thinking flow rate and water temp monitored through a 7" LCD on the front of the case, should work quite well.
4) Clean, organized, and well done.
5) Cool the GPU
6) Show it off

Don'ts:

1) Attempt to use food coloring as water dye
2) Use antifreeze which clouds up system tubing
3) Use cheap tubing
4) Have everything just haphazardly strewn about the case, make it look nice.

With that in mind, I'm designing my system more efficiently this time, for maximum performance as well as silence. The case this time is the Silverstone TJ07, selected for not only it's looks but the cooling capabilities. The idea here is to have a majority of the heat produced by the system dealt with in the bottom section of the case, thereby allowing the rest of the case a constant supply of cold air and keeping the actual components cold. So the radiator, pumps (yes, this is meant to be plural), and PSU will be kept in the bottom of the case.

Okay, component time.

CPU Block: Swiftech STORM $80
GPU Block: DangerDen 8800GTX Full Cover $115 or AquaXtreme MP-01 $45
Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3 $134.99
Reservoir: Undecided
Pumps: 2x DDC-12V Rev2 "Plus" Pumps $75 each with 2x Petra's Tech Shop Delrin Tops $30 each
Tubing: Tygon 3603 Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD $2.80
Fans: 8x Arctic Cooling AF12025 $8
TIM: Ceramique $8

Anyway, any comments/suggestions?

For fluid, I'd get distilled/pentosin, G11 for blue, G12 for pink/red (UV). I wouldn't get a res personally, tho if you can afford it and fit it in, go for it. I'd also keep just one DDC, I wouldn't spend money on two DDCs, they're very strong pumps. For tubing, I'd get 7/16" Masterkleer, it's $.38 a foot, very easy to route, and stays clear for quite a while. Doesn't cloud up too much either (I'm using 5% Prestone antifreeze and red FrozenCPU dye, the tubing is just stained red, and even that took quite a while, and it's still transparent). Only downside, is it may take a bit of work to get over some barbs.

Otherwise, good deal. :thup:

Edit: Forgot the source for the Masterkleer. Pick it up at McMaster-Carr. I think the part number is 5233K44

The Tygon is fairly good tubing and has a better bend radius than the 7/16" stuff. Its just somewhat pricey.

Your probably going to have to build a temperature montitor and flow meter if you want something that doesn't kill you flowrate and is accurate.

Well...there are a few things.

Reservoir: I don't really like how T-lines look in my case. Some will say they're better than a res but I disagree, seeing as they look much cleaner and allow for a few other things.

Temp Monitor/Flow Meter: A-ha! Now here is where the res fits in. A simple temp probe hooked up to a 3 pin connector fits perfectly in a reservoir, and does nothing to flow rate. And flow meters? Well it's really just a cool thing I want to have so I can show it on the front of my case, but if you are wondering I do have one in mind that looks fantastic and barely impedes flow.

Two DDCs: Probably going to stick with these as they're excellent pumps alone, but I'm going pretty much all out. The Storm is a pretty restrictive block, but it does better with higher flow rates. My GPU block is also quite restrictive. And in the end, if I dont' like it, I can sell one of them and buy something else.

Which flow meter are you thinking about?

If you're going with a modded DDC then consider trying one pump first. If the flow meter tells you that you've got at least 1.5 GPM of flow, then a second pump isn't going to improve temps, and may actually hurt temps.

Honestly, i wouldn't go with the storm for this project. With such high flow, an apogee should do just about as well, and save you 30-35 bucks to boot

and if you really want a storm, i bet you can get if for less than 80$, since its black friday, you can probably get it for as low as 70$

As for reservoir i'd go with http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=52&cat=27&page=1

And why 8 fans for a 3-6 fan radiator?

And just btw, i hate you for buying a TJ07 :D

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree with 4od on the res choice, I'd scrounge around for a Swiftech MCRES-Micro. Most likely well worth the wait, from what I've heard.

I'm getting a storm, end of story.

But tonight I may decide to purchase it if I can get it cheaper. I'm checking if anything that's of major importance is on sale, but I doubt it.

EDIT: Missed a question, but the TJ07 has 2 120mm fan mounts up top that I'm going to use, and these fans are fantastic (no pun intended, lol).

Back