• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insight of the aquaticly enlightened sought.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M0T0RH3D

I'm ditching air on my gaming rig, I want my compoents to stay cooler!

I am interested in water cooling to esnrue cool operation of my A64 amidst my overclokcing endevors. :beer:
I am abandoning air-cooling, in light of cooler temps with WC. :cool:
heavy air cooling will be too damned noisy! :bang head

budget will be set at 300$, willing to go upto 350$ if need-be.

tools:
screwdrivers flat and Phillips.
wrenchs of vairous metic and American cusomary system sizes.
Vice-grips
proficiency is highest with screwdrivers.
moderate proficiancy with wrenches.
low proficency with vice-grips
any tools I need, tell me! seperate funds will be set up for the tools.

Tt Armor-I am not willing to cut/mod this case.

Check sig for specs. All comp parts are listed, I want to water-cool GPU, CPU, and NB

thinking about Tt Armor BTX upgrade while i'm at it (seperate fund for backplate) thoughts on BTX+WC?

list components, and the locations online where I can get 'em thanks for your help

I would advise against trying to watercool the northbridge of a DFI board. Finding one that will fit and won't make your tubing layout a huge pain will prove quite difficult.

BTX would only be an advantage in the event of a leak, which is something you should work hard to avoid by ensuring your clamps are tight and by being more dicerning when choosing parts.

Last edited:
Good choice on the Armor, it holds everything nicely without any cutting if you're willing to sacrifice 7 of the 11 front bays. You can pick up a Swiftech Apex Ultra kit for just $180, that gives you top quality components and enough cooling for your 4400, 7900, and chipset. You can also add a chipset or GPU block and some RAMsinks to that kit and still be under $300.

Hey what's up. My bud M0T0RH3D wants to watercool & we're in our research stage.

My other friend is willin to sell his triple120 radiator for $25
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bliceproiiit.html

My idea is to drill screw holes into the top of the armor and use extra long screws + nuts to hold the screws in place in relation to the case & to secure the rad/fans. 6 fans would be used... Possibly all 141CFM Delta Triblades. Yeah that's insane.

Please, experienced water coolers and encyclopedias, give us some insight, opinions! We're probably going for the hardcore monster custom style.

Green UV reactive colored liquid.

Btw tho he says he's not willin to cut in that post, I do believe he's open to the drill idea last we talked.

Don't bother with the nF4 chip on your Lanparty, I have one and it does not bold well. The 7900GT sits over top of the chip so your video card will interfere with the block. I just went with a HR-05-SLI cooler, I am running it passive right now, but it has the option of a fan. I'd suggest waiting until you have the 100 post requirement and check the classifieds. There are some really KILLER deals there if you buy used. If you can't wait then I recommend The Swiftech Apex Ultra Kit and add in the MCW60 GPU block. I have one on my 7900GT right now and I am idling aroung 32c with a load of only 37c!

Dangerden also makes a very very nice kit as well Danger Den 4200 Kit.

All in all I'd hold off and wait and buy from the classifieds, mmm some good deals there.

That's not a problem. I will be handling all classifieds purchases. As for the NF4 cooling, yes this is a problem... we are pretty dead set on watercooling it BUT if it turns out that there's no way it can be done we of course are willing to give up our illusions ;)

I figure the worst case scenario is using a seperate loop with 1/4 tubing or something thin of that nature, and a block that has the tube connectors come up offset from underneath the card. Fantasy? Perhaps. However unless one knows all the ready-made blocks available on the market, one cannot deem it impossible just yet. The block wouldn't be completely smothered by the card, so that's why I think depending on its configuration and dimensions it can work... thuogh I doubt with 1/2" tubing.

Max0r said:
That's not a problem. I will be handling all classifieds purchases. As for the NF4 cooling, yes this is a problem... we are pretty dead set on watercooling it BUT if it turns out that there's no way it can be done we of course are willing to give up our illusions ;)

I figure the worst case scenario is using a seperate loop with 1/4 tubing or something thin of that nature, and a block that has the tube connectors come up offset from underneath the card. Fantasy? Perhaps. However unless one knows all the ready-made blocks available on the market, one cannot deem it impossible just yet. The block wouldn't be completely smothered by the card, so that's why I think depending on its configuration and dimensions it can work... thuogh I doubt with 1/2" tubing.

I am positive it won't work with a Maze4 chipset and with a Swiftech.. The chip it set perpendicular with the card, only way pheasable is to move the video card to the second slot and modding the chip to SLI to do so. Otherwise the HR-05-SLI is a great alternative, especially with a silent 80mm fan. Or depends on the case if you have good flow then no reason to mout a fan on it.

I know koolance makes a chipset block with offset barbs at 90 degrees, and supposedly comes with adapters for 1/2"
http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-gpu180-l06-cooler.html

Thats a 3x120 rad Up front and there is still room there , no need to try and put the rad on the top if you dont want to.

For a64's water cooling the chipset isnt really needed , these guys know what they are talkin about , + the fact how hard it would be to do there would be very small gains.

Thanks for the pics ^_^ I'm likin the panaflos and the alternate hard drive spot. Will the HDD cage included with the case fit up there or must it be bought seperately?

If we cannot get the NF4 watercooled no biggy... def might want to upgrade atleast to a VCRE or something for it tho. Will that passive sink fit??? The temps do creep up kinda hi, mid upper 40's. >_<

Last edited:
Max0r said:
If we cannot get the NF4 watercooled no biggy... def might want to upgrade atleast to a VCRE or something for it tho. Will that passive sink fit??? The temps do creep up kinda hi, mid upper 40's. >_<

I don't think the temps will be that "bad". If you feel uncomfortable with the temps on the passive cooler you can mount a 70mm or 80mm fan on it. Personally, I am sitting idle at 35c right now...

Max0r said:
Thanks for the pics ^_^ I'm likin the panaflos and the alternate hard drive spot. Will the HDD cage included with the case fit up there or must it be bought seperately?

The second hdd cage came with the case = )

Back