• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 2x1Gb PC2-8500 + Asus P5W64-WS Expert help needed please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord Haart

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.

Recently I built a new system, stock speeds and unclocked, for now. All is fine except I can't get the RAM I bought working as intended.

CPU : Conroe E6600 @2.40Ghz

RAM : Corsair XMS2 2x1gb of PC2-8500C5
http://www.corsair.com/corsair/produ...048-8500C5.pdf

MOTHERBOARD : ASUS P5W64WS "Wall Street Quartet" Rev 1.01G, Latest BIOS (0304)
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=248&model=1341&modelm enu=1

I have installed it and set on dual channel interleave, I have used dimm 1 and dimm 3 slots.

Corsair say that it is fine on 1066Mhz/8500 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v.
Well I can't get it to work at that speed. I can get it to DDR2-800Mhz no problem, with the mobo showing it as pc6400 when I boot up.

How can I get it to 1066Mhz/8500 please ?

The mobo has an option for it, but I was just wondering about something I heard saying that you need to increase the FSB to achieve this ? Is this correct ? I have tried using SPD settings and all various other manual ones but can't get 1066Mhz/8500 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v which it is guaranteed to do.

Please help me out here and explain, I really would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Here is a quick rundown of what's going on:

Intel FSB is quad-pumped. MEaning the stock 266MHz FSB is actually multiplied by 4 to achieve the 1066FSB.

I'm going to emphasize the 1:1 FSB:Memory ratio because it is the best performing. Now the base FSB:Memory ratio is 1:1. Meaning 266FSB will run 1:1 only with DDR2-533. To run 1066MHz memory 1:1 with the FSB, that would require a FSB of 533MHz, which is a very high number and will require extreme cooling. Now you have options because that memory will run tighter timings at a lower frequency, say DDR2-800, they might run 4-4-4-8.

Now I believe that MB can run and upwards divider(is that an oxy-moron?) In the bios from the main page, right arrow over to Advanced>JumperFree Config>MAnual. Now you will see "DRAM Frequency" There should be an option to go to 1066MHz when the FSB is at 266 in the bios. Now as you raise the FSB, these memory speeds increase. Also note that you have to set memory voltage(Dram Voltage) to 2.2v, as well as under "Chipset Configuration", the memory timings have to be set manually, though those sticks might have EPP and auto config timings, but probably not. Every asus MB I have owned, Timings have had to be set manually.

Back