• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows freezes at ivicd.sys during boot - HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shinobi13

I`m a ninja, you don`t know where I am at!
Came home and fired up my new rig which is less than a month old, noticed windows was loading then walked away, well came back a minute later and nothing but a black screen. I hit the reboot button and then the windows failed to properly load message comes on so I hit safe mode with command prompt. Well it freezes at ivicd.sys. Any idea on what is causing this? I think it has something to do with intervideo software.:-/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xtreme Barton said:
can you boot into safe mode ??

You should try to google "ivicd.sys"

The first entry....
http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/...phtml?t=121878

Can't boot into safe mode, did the google search and the only thing that related to me was someone on another forum said to repair windows.

Well tried to repair/re-install windows and the computer after loading the drivers and what not freezes @ please wait. I guess I am going to have to format my drive.

Should have bought another HD and set up a raid so I don"t lose data:bang head

ivYou didnt loose your data (unless you encrypted the data and didnt make a repair disk)... you have a problem booting windows...

Did you try to respond to that thread? Sounds like that guy knew what he was talking about.

Also,

You can buy a new HD, unplug your old HD... Install Windows on the new drive. Re-plug in the old drive. Then make sure the bios boot order goes to the new Windows installation. Then recover your files/format.

The real problem isnt RAID, for that doesnt protect you from these issues. With RAID you will have two copies of corrupted Windows. It also doesnt protect from Viruses, Lightning, PSU failure, CPU failure, Software Crashes, and other bad things... Thats why everyone says BACKUP!

RAID is for thoose who want A) more speed, or B) quick/reduced downtime from HD crash. Every IT guy who runs large servers with multiple RAID arrays will also back up to an external file source EVERY NIGHT. They will also move a portion of these backups to another location in case of fire.

Factoid: IBM sells data storage services that allows businesses to store their backups in places (Large SALT MINES) that will be safe from volcano's, earth quakes, floods, nucular attacks, etc.

One more thing... We got to stop people from beleiving that RAID will protect people from data loss. However, there are so many reasons for data loss that RAID wont protect you from.

Last edited:
I made a bartpe disk from my laptop, put in my desktop that is having this issue and window starts to load and bam....freezes again. Is there a way I can make a windows boot cd that will just enable me to get to c prompt on the freaking computer. All I need to do is either:

1. Find the file that is causing this and delete it
2. Format the drive and then I will be able to re-install windows

This is getting very frustrating, thought the bartpe disk would do it. Nope.:mad:

You can always create a boot disk. Go to any windows machine, put a floppy in it and then right click on the floppy device... format... select Quick Format and BootDisk...

This will create some files...
Autoexec.bat
config.sys

in Autoexec.bat you can add a line with
PATH="C:\WINDOWS\system32"

That will give you allot of the dos functionality of old... you can then add "DOSKEY" to the auto exec on line 2

The Path may need to be in Dos Format (8 bits long)... which I never figured out how to do it... but you can with google...

Once you set the path to this directory, you get allot of your old Dos functionality.

Some of the programs will run in Dos Mode. Others you may need to find on the internet. You should be able to do a chkdisk

Delete is part of any system disk...

I think Windows ME makes the best boot disks... but thats my feelings

I bet you could find some really good Dos based bootdisks on the net.

Mike

Edit: You can also change your boot order, and boot off your DVD/CD rom, and then insert your windows disk, and do a repair... or push F8 during Boot... though that MSDos is kinda funky.

That is what i thought the bart pe disk would enable me to do. I will go to the internet cafe after work and use one fo their machines to make a floppy boot disk. Thanks for the advice.

Though, instead of formating the sucker, I just may cve in and buy anouther HDD and load windows onto that and save my files that way.

I tried the reapir instal and regular instal, once it cofigs your system at first then you select either option, the cpu just freezes. I cannot belive that one stupid file from a program can crash windows like this. DO NOT USE intervideo media suite. The dvd player softare is fine, not the suite it self.

I suspect their is more going on here then simple software. It is to early to say, but you may have a hardware issue.

Well I went and make a bootable floopy and stuck in the a: drive then tryed format c: /s and then I got an error saying bad command or directory.

So then I tryed cd c:, got the same error. I am guessing that my HDD is screwed. I can`t even format it!

I went to newegg today and ordered another one so i can load windows onto it and then pull the files that I want to keep off the old one. Geessh, all of this cause of ONE fricken BS file. Not going to load that software again, that is for sure. Now I gotta wait a week "livin` overseas" for the drive to get to me.

I checked my local store and all they had were external drives and an old ide type. Not wasting my money on that.

So for the heck of it, I tried to re-install windows and got a BSOD with the error code 6f. It is a hardware problem it turns out. Sometimes it gives me the BSOD, others when I try to re-install windows, just freezes after selecting install xp. Ugggghhhhhhh.:cry:

Well after my computer was sitting in the closet for the past couple of months, I pulled it out and messed with it again. I figured the problem out. One of my sticks of RAM is bad. Should have checked that first off. NEWEGG RMA here I come!

Thanks for all the help you all have given. I am gload it was something as simple as this.

Shinobi

Back