• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is about the cheapest decent WC setup I could get to get my feet wet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I been tossing back and fourth about W/C. I want to do it, but something always stops me. I figure if I could put something together that is inexpensive, but still affective I could get myself hooked on it and slowly upgrade. For some reason when I start adding up my proposed WC setup, it keeps getting in the 300 range. And I'm only cooling a single CPU!

So could someone suggest some budget parts. Doesn't have to be super great, but hopefully at least out cool my ultra-120.

--pak

pak said:
I been tossing back and fourth about W/C. I want to do it, but something always stops me. I figure if I could put something together that is inexpensive, but still affective I could get myself hooked on it and slowly upgrade. For some reason when I start adding up my proposed WC setup, it keeps getting in the 300 range. And I'm only cooling a single CPU!

So could someone suggest some budget parts. Doesn't have to be super great, but hopefully at least out cool my ultra-120.

--pak

Thermaltake makes some "budget" kits but I don't think they are very good.

Check out this thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4591127 Pay attention to Moto7451's post, it is very helpful.

Hmm... Single CPU?

Whitewater LE @ Cooltechnica, ~$30 + ship
D5 @ Petras, ~$75 + ship
'77 B'Ville HC @ Local Auto Shop, ~$20 pickup
20ft 7/16" Masterkleer @ McMaster-Carr, ~$12 shipped
$1 Distilled Water
$7 Povidone Iodine
~$1 Tee-line
~$10 Clamps and other things (threaded rods)

$156 total :D

EDIT!

WOOPS, forgot fans:

2 Panaflo FBA12G12M 120mm*38mm Medium Speed, 86.5CFM/42dBA (right?) @ SVC, $15 shipped at most

$171 total :D

WW from cool technica or Dtek.
if you want a DC pump then pick a MCP355 or MCP655 for $70 from Jab-tech.
For a Rad a Swiftech MCR-220 for $39 from jab-tech. HCs really aren't worth it anymore you put the extra $20 worth of labor into them anyway and the MCR-220 performs better, with everything except maybe the most extreme fans.
Tubing pick up some cheap 1/2" ID braided tubing from the hardware store. Its not super pretty and kind of a pain to make it do tight bends but it works well. I would stay away from 7/16" unless you want to stuff this in a pretty small space.
Coolant distilled water and some antifreeze for anticorrosion with the WW.
Pick up the plastic clamps from jab-tech for $.75 each if you want pretty otherwise hose clamps work just fine.
A tline or res depending on your preference and you set.

well I dont have enogh posts to view the link smokie mcpott posted so can someone summarize??? stupid 100 post count. Some of us are lurkers not posters.
mike

ahbroody said:
well I dont have enogh posts to view the link smokie mcpott posted so can someone summarize??? stupid 100 post count. Some of us are lurkers not posters.
mike

It's just a DD kit that someone is selling at the forums. Cheap :)

77 b-ville ?

SolidxSnake said:
Hmm... Single CPU?

Whitewater LE @ Cooltechnica, ~$30 + ship
D5 @ Petras, ~$75 + ship
'77 B'Ville HC @ Local Auto Shop, ~$20 pickup
20ft 7/16" Masterkleer @ McMaster-Carr, ~$12 shipped
$1 Distilled Water
$7 Povidone Iodine
~$1 Tee-line
~$10 Clamps and other things (threaded rods)

$156 total :D

EDIT!

WOOPS, forgot fans:

2 Panaflo FBA12G12M 120mm*38mm Medium Speed, 86.5CFM/42dBA (right?) @ SVC, $15 shipped at most

$171 total :D
personally , i think the '74 coupe de ville is a much better cooler, power windows and fm were standard!!!! oh! almost forgot the cassette player too!

swmpthng said:
personally , i think the '74 coupe de ville is a much better cooler, power windows and fm were standard!!!! oh! almost forgot the cassette player too!
Actually those will work but - like the Cadillac - it's not cheap ...!

Back