• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buying an XP pro CD used, & potential drawbacks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I am thinking about buying a used computer system and it comes with a win XP pro CD. I want to know how much value I can attribute to the XP CD; actually I am concerned it will work like I just opened the plastic. I know if you have a copied OS, with no printing on the face, eventually you can end up with having some troubles. You can't upgrade, you get warnings, some things don't work. I don't know how many times a copy must be logged in at microsoft before this can happen. I am not even sure how many of your own pcs you could try at the same time! (answer please-? if you can). Thats not my question. My question is, if I get an original CD with sole intent that it is the original, and if that original was copied in one form or another, not knowing how many times, could I expect to run into any troubles? Even if the original owner copied it once, or twice, ten!? This is not a trick, I do not know. Period. I need the disk to work, problem free, always. What is/are the odds? Am I ok, with an orig?

Also, how likely is it to be duped into thinking it is original and actually get a professional excellent reproduction that looks identical to original? In this case specifically, the profit on the CD, considering the hardware and price, couldn't be anything.

Sorry, I haven't scanned the group for this topic, maybe tommorow, I need bed now, , but I may need to buy it by then. TIA

There is really no way to tell. Anyone could sell you a genuine XP Pro CD with a key. But they also could have made a copy of that CD and installed it (using the same CD-Key) on numerous computers. If this is not a seller you know very well I would ask to buy it without XP and then get your own copy and install that. An OEM copy of XP Pro is usually around $150

Just my opinion. I'm sure others will have theirs.

The CD isn't actually what's important, it's the Product Code/Registration/CD Key code that comes with it. So long as that has not been passed all over the internet, it should be fine.

The CD isnt the costworthy peice. The cd key is. Hell I belive microsoft would even send you a free XP cd with no code if you told them you lost the CD. Its just useless unless you already have a cd key,.. or if you crack but we'll not get into that.

The problem is that even if it is an honest user who just happened to use the same CD key on another machine before passing along to you. Now you won't be able to activate and use with the key. Activation limits you to one machine, so if the key was used even once before you might have problems.

If it isn't a genuine MS CD I wouldn't even use it. You have no way of knowing if it is a backup copy of legit CD, or a pirated copy being used to allow the seller to sell for more money.

Skeith said:
The CD isnt the costworthy peice. The cd key is. Hell I belive microsoft would even send you a free XP cd with no code if you told them you lost the CD. Its just useless unless you already have a cd key,.. or if you crack but we'll not get into that.

I recommend that you start by reading the MS License agreement. I believe it talks about this issue, but I am not about to read that thing.

Microsoft has no issues sending you a new upgrade CD (like Windows XP disk -> Windows XP SP2). The key is important. If I was to buy it from Ebay, and used Paypal, I would be more assured about how authentic the user is.

Generally, I would invest in a NEW copy, for all new copys of Windows XP have upgrade coupons for Vista.

Mike

when logging in to upgrade, the os sw has lots of things to do, including checking the ser#, and it also has the check list of the things to do, and the things that have been done. You go go into this list. I'm just a zero and don't have a clue of such things. Do you know of anybody who would know of such things, just in case.

Back