• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to water and electricity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swmpthng

something just has always bothered me about mixing water and electricity in the same metal box.

but now that i am doing more oc'ing i am leanining more toward my fear of electricution.

i was wondering if anyone can guide me toward some resources or make recommendations of what some of the mid range systems are that are expandable and efficient.
i want to start out with cooling cpu then work into other parts later.

under fan cooling, my cpu on hot days @100% usage(seti@home) my 940d@3840 is at 56C, hotter than i want it. my socket 478 [email protected] ht is at 47C

i'm looking for something readily available on the net, i only buy from comp(ripoff)usa and other computer ripoff stores when i need it fast like..... now!!!
i'm not in a big hurry, i have all winter to reseach, it's just hot in florida right now and i have no more room for fans on my case!

p5n32sli deluxe
antec tru-power550
intel 940d@3840 (want more)
TT big typhoon
2gb 667mhz dual channel
36gb and 74gb raptor
2 pny 7600gs sli
3 120mm and 4 80mm fan 100/75 cfm
40mm nb/sb fans
STABLE w/ prime95 and seti@home 24/7

Attachments

• fans.JPG
    fans.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Just to put your fears aside...

something just has always bothered me about mixing water and electricity in the same metal box.

Vehicle battery... washing machine... dish washer...

All of which deal with MUCH larger voltages and currents than found in the common PC...

Just grab a Swiftech Apex Ultra kit.

just a lil comment on the case fan setup, is there a fan on the back of the case (not the PSU)? If there is, the best way for that one to be blowing is OUT, not in. It's hard to tell from the picture if that is the case.

And the Apex Ultra kit is very nice...would be a great way to go. You could also peice it together from components mostly from DangerDen.com (a GREAT site for watercooling, and great customer service, so do not worry about giving them your money)

From them, I would get a D5 pump, a 2x120mm RAD (or 3x120mm if you can get it mounted on your case somewhere), and some Clearflex tubing (plus some clamps, t-lines, etc)

Then buy a Swiftech Apogee or Storm block from any good online place (I got mine from FrozenCPU, and found them to be good)

These are basically the components that come in that Apex Ultra kit from Swiftech, except it'll probably end up a little bit cheaper if you peice it together like that.

That's definitely a good kit, I'd say that, for the price, it's a much better deal than most ppls offerings of the Apex Ultra kit....but here is a really good deal on the Apex Ultra kit:

http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3198

it's only $189.95 with FREE UPS ground shipping!

In fact i think that price almost makes it a Cyber Deal....perhaps I'll post it there for anyone looking for a good kit.

wow, that is a cyber deal, compared to my custom made loop with used parts its exactly the same price (if i pay the 20 bucks for a reservoir).

but then again my loop is a triple rad so that makes up for it :beer:

IMO - Swiftech is the way to go and the suggestions given are great ones! But it's the same basic problem you have now - you still have to deal with the outside temperature.

If you're going to be cooling several rigs you might want to consider a geothermal approach instead of radiators. You'll have to be picky about how deep to plant the hose, too little may not be enough, too much and you could get into condensation issues (though I suspect that's quite a ways down for Florida!), but the reward is having 2-3 cool computers even on the hottest of days. A big, insulated, shared res (for temperature stability) and a dedicated pump to cool the water may be your best bet for a farm.

Another option for your situation is evaporative cooling (a "cooling tower"). Take 2-3 rigs with double radiators, put the radiators together in some type of tub, put water in the tub and use another pump to circulate the water over the radiators. You loose some water to the air every day that way but your radiators stay nice and cool. You can even get artistic and make a real fountain out of it if you like, just keep it in the shade.

Just some other things to think about while you're researching ...

Last edited:
fountain?

QuietIce said:
IMO - Swiftech is the way to go and the suggestions given are great ones! But it's the same basic problem you have now - you still have to deal with the outside temperature.

If you're going to be cooling several rigs you might want to consider a geothermal approach instead of radiators. You'll have to be picky about how deep to plant the hose, too little may not be enough, too much and you could get into condensation issues (though I suspect that's quite a ways down for Florida!), but the reward is having 2-3 cool computers even on the hottest of days. A big, insulated, shared res (for temperature stability) and a dedicated pump to cool the water may be your best bet for a farm.

Another option for your situation is evaporative cooling (a "cooling tower"). Take 2-3 rigs with double radiators, put the radiators together in some type of tub, put water in the tub and use another pump to circulate the water over the radiators. You loose some water to the air every day that way but your radiators stay nice and cool. You can even get artistic and make a real fountain out of it if you like, just keep it in the shade.

Just some other things to think about while you're researching ...
i need a fountain like i need to have......2 wives!
i can handle my two german shepherds but two wives, forget it, i'd hang myself, a fountain? just something else to take care of , like another wife!

good ideas though,

i was at frozencpu and saw this
Swiftech H20-220-775T™ ThermoElectric Liquid Cooling Kit (Pentium 4 - Socket LGA775)

it all sounds good but is it ? do they give you instructions with all these things? iwas looking at a case that had the compressor built into it for like 800.00, cpu cooler goes to -44c !!!!!
thats cold. and out of my wallet range!

swmpthng said:
i need a fountain like i need to have......2 wives!
i can handle my two german shepherds but two wives, forget it, i'd hang myself, a fountain? just something else to take care of , like another wife!

good ideas though,

i was at frozencpu and saw this
Swiftech H20-220-775T™ ThermoElectric Liquid Cooling Kit (Pentium 4 - Socket LGA775)

it all sounds good but is it ? do they give you instructions with all these things? iwas looking at a case that had the compressor built into it for like 800.00, cpu cooler goes to -44c !!!!!
thats cold. and out of my wallet range!
A/C for the CPU ... it's way out of my price range, too ... :(

Back