• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP / Housecall / ? Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Ok, I was doing a google search about some software I was planning on buying and clicked on the wrong link while turning my head to answer a question. Realized it wasn't where I wanted to be and killed the browser and brought up Housecall to be safe. Well, about 10 minutes into the Housecall scan, the browser window just shut down.

Long story short (though I will expand if anybody needs it to be), Found a few viruses with:
Nod32
AVG
Microsoft malicious software removal tool
and they all show nothing now.

However, Housecall still shuts down before ending it's scan in Firefox, Mozilla, and IE 7 (java and activeX versions).

I've also run Hijackthis and RootkitRevealer and nothing conclusive shows up.

So, I took the drive out and put it in as a secondary drive in another computer that was currently running Housecall without a problem. Ran Symantec/Norton on it first and found nothing, then ran Housecall. Same problem. Took the drive out and it still won't run Housecall. I can post the Hijackthis log if anybody needs to see it.

I have no problem doing a clean install of Windows on another drive, but I would really like to find and remove this so I can pull my data off this drive without risking infection again.

Any suggestions?

(I'm assuming this is some very clever virus, though I supposed it could be something else) :bang head :bang head :bang head

Help?

Go to Control Panel -> Java Plug Control Panel -> Cache tab -> Clear button.

This will clear your JRE applets cache which could contain applet virii.

Also ensure your Java build is up-to-date.

May also want to check under Event Viewer/Application log to see if it is crashing and what the cause may be.

Jon said:
Go to Control Panel -> Java Plug Control Panel -> Cache tab -> Clear button.

This will clear your JRE applets cache which could contain applet virii.

Also ensure your Java build is up-to-date.

May also want to check under Event Viewer/Application log to see if it is crashing and what the cause may be.

Did it once, and then noticed that I'm one version behind. Updating now and trying again. Also, no Firefox related events around the shutdown times.

With the ActiveX version of Housecall, it displays the files it is scanning in the bottom status bar. I was able to narrow down the area where it was closing (Documents and settings/xxxx/local settings/temp/*) and deleted everything I could in there and it has as of now made at least 1 successfull pass. I'm running it again and also running the java version in Firefox. However I now have 2 files that I can't see in my recycle bin that won't delete. (even went in through the shell and it won't let me delete them there) Somewhat promising.

EDIT: Ok, after a full reboot, it runs Housecall without shutting down. Now to try it on the original PC and see if I can get it fixed there. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back