• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp install dilemma

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Long story/short:

I just installed xp home on machine B, and planned to remove an install of the same copy of xp from machine A. Turns out that I used the wrong copy. I don't want to have to re-install xp on machine B. Removing an install of xp from any machine other than machine A or B is fine.

What's the options?

1. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents in regedit and modify OOBETimer. Change at least one digit (this deactivates Windows).

2. Click Start -> Run -> type in %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a and hit Enter.

3. Choose the option for a telephone rep to activate Windows in the dialog box.

4. Click Change Product Key, enter new key, and click Update. If you are kicked back to the previous window, choose Remind Me Later, and then reboot.

5. Upon restarting, go back to Start -> Run -> type in %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a and verify that Windows has been activated.

I want to ensure you that this is a perfectly LEGAL method of changing your product key.

Back