• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit 3-Pin fan header amp/wattage max.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

I have a 975x AW9D-MAX and it has this nice little BIOS feature that allows for fan adjustments around any monitored temperatures. According to how you set it it will run your fan from 7.5v all the way up to 12v. I have all my case fans wired up to a rehobus in the front and all are reasonable speed slower fans. The two 80mm in the front are wired together and are rated at .21a (2.5w) for a total of .42a (5w) the two in the rear are the same and my two 120mm low speed 3blade delta (HERE) on the radiator are rated on the fan hub at .24a (2.9w) or 5.8w combined. Now if I hook these pairs up on their own fan header will this sucker blow? I've heard the Abit rails are rated for 6w. If this is so then my fans are below this limit by an ok margin (5.8w on the 2x120mm & 5.2w on the 2x80mm's) and would work. At the same time I don't want to screw up my new $200 motherboard.

Last edited:
6w sounds about right. I think most motherboards will support 500ma (making for 6w) How far you want to test that limit is up to you. Although I have heard people running some pretty aggresive fans off of motherboard headers for years with no ill effects.

Have you looked through all the Abit documentation and forums? They will occasionally list a reccomended max for the fan headers.

Wicked Klown said:
Here is a little info on mobo fan headers SSS has some good info there.

Ah, that's great. I knew I like abit boards for a reason. :beer: Well I hooked them up and they work fine. Although I noticed that you need to have an RPM sensor hooked up for FanEq to work properly. So what I think we gathered from this is 6w per channel on 8 channels means a maximum of 48w/4a draw together plus this nice failsafe. Although I did send out an EMail to the tech deportment, I'll get an official response soon and I'll be sure to post it.

Wicked Klown said:
Here is a little info on mobo fan headers SSS has some good info there.

Man, I work for Abit, (well Moderate at their Forums) and I can't get a hook-up like that. SSS is all-knowing!

I have heard the 6 watts, or .5 amp figure before, though. I'd follow it.

steve

Back