• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Install (and 2k3) gets stuck at 57%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

My friend's dad has a laptop that is broken. The OS was corrupted somehow because I keep getting the message "Could not find Operating System". I tried to reinstall XP, but it gets stuck at 57%. I busted out my old 2k3 disc, and that won't install either. It also gets stuck at 57%. Apparently he replaced the drive. Whats the problem?

i just went through this nightmare to get pics back.

i took one stick of ram out and left just 1 in the rig and the install went fine. didnt make any sence because i ram both sticks afterwards and both tested perfect. i did have the vidcard overclocked and i found out that pressing ctrl while booting may have bypassed the whole mess who knows its windows for ya.

Run some diags and a surface scan on the hard drive if you can. I've seen this before, and a dying hard drive was the culprit.

Back