• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe - PCI-E Slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Premmer

Im confused about the PCI-E x16 slots specifications. Asus board specs states "2 x PCI-E x16 (blue @ x16 mode, black @ x2 or x4 mode)". Plan to use (1) PCI-E video card in one slot and (1) PCI-E x8 Areca Raid Controller in the second slot. Did I screw up ordering this board?

Thanks

Last edited:
Did I screw up ordering this board?

probably not.
you should get a full 16 for the video card, and an adequite 4x for the raid, unless you ALSO want to use that little weasily PCIX1 type slot also, there is something about that changing things one more time.
if you wanted the same basic board, and 2 full 16 paths, you woulda got the 5W thing instead.
i doubt its gonna be a problem, unless you was going to run 4x15,000 rpm scsi raids in raid 0 :)

Psycogeec said:
i doubt its gonna be a problem, unless you was going to run 4x15,000 rpm scsi raids in raid 0 :)

Will be running (4) 7200RPM drives in a RAID 0 array. Current average speed is ~300Mb/s using x8 mode. What would you estimate speed would be operating in x4 mode?

correction.
aparentally the W thing has 2x8.

i dont know, so far i show that, when the video card goes from 8 to 16 it didnt make much difference. but when it goes to 1, it made more differeance, cut speed about 1/3.

and also i am seeing a lot of BENCHMARKS for sata raid0 that have nothing to do with platter speeds, and only reflect a bunch of RAM cacheing, caches in the os, and cachees on the drives, caches on the controllers.
so when you say 300, do you mean 300 ram to ram speed? or 300 Platter to OS ram speed?
dang with 4x 7200 sata drives i could hope to get a REAL 160, off of any connection, ok mabey 200, 4 platter sets pumping out 50 each.

hmmmm, so if its benchmarks and ram to ram speed, then you better go as high as you can get in pipelines, if its real disk to disk speeds, and disk to ram speeds , and the data is not 40megs endlessly repeated, then i say it oughta be good enough, but i donno, didnt get that far yet.

so basically i dont know, and i say its about time they set benchmarks for REALITY, who looks at the same 40megs they just wrote 20 times :)
and as a side note, who runs 8x AA when your already in 1900x1200 mode ?? ;-)

Last edited:
Back