• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Remote Desktop / Printing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I've got a question that my googlefu is failing entirely on. At work we have a warehouse that logs into our network using Windows Remote Desktop Connection. That seems to work fine, however we are having a problem printing labels on a HP Laserjet 1020. For some reason using the same Access module that prints just fine anywhere else on our network, on this connection it adds a 1"-1 1/4" margin on the top of the page. Even setting every margin we can find for the printer to 0 will still generate this wide 1"-1 1/4" margin. Any suggestions on how to adjust this?

When someone uses RDP to connect to a computer it creates a separate desktop for that connection. Anything already open locally on the server the person wouldnt see when they connect to the machine. If I had to guess I would say the program being used to print the labels is setting itself to default when the person connects. You may have to change the applications printing settings through the RDP connection, not locally on the machine.

Have you tried that?

Yep, adjusting all the printer properties on the remote desktop. Adjusted on the local machine as well so they match, just to see if it would help. It didn't. And just to clarify, I can add to this margin, and take away what I've added (bump it to 2", then back down to 1"), but not take away any of the original.

By the way, just FYI, this seems to only be a problem with HP 102x series printers. I was able to get an HP LaserJet 6 print without the wide margin. Didn't help all that much, as I needed to print on 8"x12" paper, but it let me know that it was probably the printer. Got a Lexmark E120n laser printer and it let me set up custom paper sizes and had no margin problems. Hope this helps somebody else down the road.

Back