• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB or 2GB of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

i'm at my dead end here..

2GB of DDR2 CAS 4 ram cost 210
1GB of DDR2 CAS 5 ram cost 105 (no heatspreader)
1GB of DDR2 CAS 5 ram cost 130 (with heatspreader)

do i really need 2GB?

rig is for a E6600... and i can't seems to find any cheap memory on sale rite now.

depends on what you are gonna be using it for. If you are gonna be playing games(or video editing) like COH, BF2, ect. 2GB helps alot. If not, 1 GB will work fine.

yeah i got some PC6400 in cas 4.... i said screwed it yesterday and place an order for 225 bucks for 2GB of gskill PC6400... rediculous price but i need it so i'll have to buy it...

I've got 2x512MB CAS 4 DDR2-800 RAM and it does great in games and whatever else. While you will probably get a performance boost from having 2GB, I think it is a little overrated and not really worth double the price. If you want better gaming performance, take the $100 you will save by getting 1GB of RAM and invest it into a better video card. You'll get much more performance from your $100 that way than you would by upgrading to 2GB.

2GB will be better if you play any current games, like to run a bunch of applications at once and of course will have you prepared for a Vista upgrade. I only play one game(America's Army) but as soon as I went from 1 to 2GB, my hard drives pretty much shut up. Meaning no more pagefile usage, which is a very good thing.

avalanche83 said:
Just go with the lowest latency 2Gb you can find.

price was a huge factor... i tried to keep it on the down low lol.. but it's fine now... if i get my rebate money back i'll go for a PCI-E vid card... rite now i'm just gonna pound on my PCI vid card.....

1gb will get you by...2gb is the future. it all depends on what you can spend. i've had 1gb for 5+ years and im sticking with 1gb cuz im cheap :(

batrider said:
1gb will get you by...2gb is the future. it all depends on what you can spend. i've had 1gb for 5+ years and im sticking with 1gb cuz im cheap :(

What he said. There are 3 reasons to go 2GB. Get a matched pair of 1GB sticks now that you can always split between systems now or later, Vista, and resource-hog games. I have 2GB in my new rig, and play HL2, and I can honestly get by fine with 1GB. However, I chose the "get the matched pair" option.

warlock110 said:
i'm at my dead end here..

2GB of DDR2 CAS 4 ram cost 210
1GB of DDR2 CAS 5 ram cost 105 (no heatspreader)
1GB of DDR2 CAS 5 ram cost 130 (with heatspreader)

do i really need 2GB?

rig is for a E6600... and i can't seems to find any cheap memory on sale rite now.

the question is, do you really need the heat spreaders haha, ram dosent get TAHT hot, go with 2gb youll thanks your self later.

PhysX said:
the question is, do you really need the heat spreaders haha, ram dosent get TAHT hot, go with 2gb youll thanks your self later.

might as well throw in a few more bucks for the "cool" effect :)

problem solve though... found a 7600GT for 100 no rebate.. but i waited a few days and now it jump back to 140... but that's cool... found a 7600GS for 50 after rebate.. even better since i don't game :)

Back