• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator Placement?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey guys... just have a quick question. I have a Black Ice Extreme coming my way here in couple weeks... I have a Lian-Li PC 65 case - the one here on newegg. now it I have the bottom HD tray removed to make room for the radiator.. the case has 2 80mm intake fans in the front, which you can see in the pics. I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to place my radiator there so I have 2 80mm fans blowing cool air onto one side (won't be directly because theres no shroud) of the rad and the 140mm (its coming with a 140mm >120mm adapter) fan pulling air from the other. Do you think that would help my temperatures a bit or no? If I can't fit it there, where else would I be able to put it? I thought about maybe getting a Swiftech Radbox, but I haven't seen anybody using one, so I'm kinda leary about that. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Some People Love Rad box's they make mouning easy .

If the Rad doesnt fit on the front you can Get 1-2 inch stand offs and put the rad on the Back of the case or the top.

I like my Rad in the front of my case , it give alot of air flow over my MB . ( but it also dumps hot air from your rad back into your case )

I think it should work fine that way. Yes you wont have all the air from the 80's going through the rad but the 140 will definately pull cool air through it. Try to place the rad about an inch or two away from the 80's that will allow enough cool air to get pulled through while still letting some circulate through the case.

You could always mount the rad at the top of the case and have the fan attached to the outside pulling the air out. That would also serve as a blowhole at the same time.

Hmmm good idea CGR..... but the way my PSU wiring is (I have the extra wires hidden in the top 5.25" bay lol), I'm not sure I'd be able to... I will look when I get home though. I will post a picture of my PC here later this evening so you can see what I'm talking about.

A single BIX won't have any problem fitting in the top. However, keep in mind that you'll need (want?) to go case > radiator > fan since I don't think you'll have much luck finding a 140mm grill that would look good, whereas a 120mm radiator grill could be made to look, if not stock, at least like it wasn't an after-thought. Here is a sample of radiator grills for BIXes. In that configuration, you'll have the choice of pulling outside air through the radiator where it will vent into case and need to be exhausted with the front & rear fans (or other fans). Or, you can push the air that's already in the case through the radiator, using using it as a blow hole. There are pros and cons for both scenarios and you might want to try both and use the one that gives you the best results.

Here's a few pics of a Thermochill 120.2 in the top of a PC-61 (same case without the window). The first pic is the grill on top, and the second pic is the 2-3mm clearance between the radiator and the PSU :clap: That was one tight fit.

Attachments

• 2006-04-25 015s2.jpg
    2006-04-25 015s2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 2006-04-25 017s.jpg
    2006-04-25 017s.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 60
Back