• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you need another reason

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
to avoid Vista...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061128-8300.html

Vista + CableCARD = Digital Cable Goodness.
That's how the equation was supposed to go, but as more details about the Vista CableCARD implementation are revealed, more limitations become apparent. The newest one concerns streaming—Windows Vista will only allow CableCARD-decrypted video to be streamed to official Media Center Extenders.
Consumers who hoped to use their new Vista boxes to blast recorded TV content to other PCs on their home network or to a laptop while traveling (much like a SlingBox) will be disappointed, as Vista engineers bowed to the cable industry's demand for content protection by enabling streaming only to Media Center Extenders. The story first appeared at CE Pro, which learned of the limitations from some Microsoft folks in attendance at the recent Electronic House Expo. Ars Technica has been able to confirm this with sources in the know, but official public relations channels aren't commenting.
The limitation means that right now, only one device can pull down content recorded from digital cable broadcasts: an Xbox 360. Sources tell us that other Media Extenders will also support such content, including devices from D-Link, Linksys and others. Existing devices will need updates to support the latest DRM, however.

Bad part is, 99.9% of the world is going to continue to accept this due to the "lack of other options"

Absolutely wounder full. I relay want a noisy full speck box in the living room, I was thinking lintop or similar silent small Linux pc + HD projector + network = perfect. (It just needs to have the right output on it to send 5.1 to a decoder is that HDMI?)
As a test project I am turning my 2k3 server into a digital media streaming device. its doing the mp3 collection.. OK thats not exactly legal because of English law being odd (an mp3 of your own cd isn't allowed governments reviewing)
I guess ill just have to see how much i can do with this. I am hopping it can handle the requirements (bandwidth and the drm) for full blown HD content.

Damn that, sucks. Well, kinda sucks for the people who would use that anyway... I think NZ is a fair way off from anything remotely like that :p

Back