• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 6400C4D Promos - What we do, how we do it, and our offer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Corsair George

Corsair Rep
UPDATE

Due to the incredible demand for the Micron-based part, we are out of stock.

Unfortunately, due to the extraordinary demand for these parts, we are currently on backorder, meaning that we do not physically have the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D or any other Micron-based part in stock and will not until mid-to-late January, 2007.

That does not mean I won't be fulfilling orders, though. This program will continue until December 31st.

So here's the new rules:

1) If you haven't taken part in the program at all yet, please email me a copy of your receipt before December 31st, 2006, and if the receipt is dated before 11/29/06, you will be added to a pre-approved list.

2) If you've decided to take advantage of the program and have already emailed me but not sent in your memory, hold onto your memory until January 22nd, and email me again after that.

3) If you've already mailed me your parts, I will take from my very limited inventory in the order I receive modules. Hopefully this will be enough to cover those that have already sent in their memory. If I receive your memory and have no memory to send you, I will contact you directly to work something out.

Again, the program is on hiatus until mid-to-late January, 2007, and if you wish to take part in it at that time, please email me on or after January 22nd, 2007.

In order to be pre-approved for this program, I must receive your e-mail before December 31st, 2006, and your receipt must be dated before 11/29/06.

You do not have to physically send in the modules until we have parts in stock.

But I will need the email and receipt before December 31st.

Please send the receipt in JPG screenshot form, as our internal spam filter has been somewhat overzealous with attachments.

Thanks again.

There has been a lot of confusion and anger about the 6400C4D parts lately. The main point of contention seems to be that the 6400C4D parts are based primarily on Promos ICs and not on the Micron ICs that very early 6400C4 parts were based on. Since a few months ago, the Promos IC has been the primary IC used on all 6400C4 parts, and with the advent of the 6400C4D, Promos was the primary IC used from day 1. There were occasional Micron-based parts, but these were always a downbin for the small percentage of Micron ICs that did not pass our screen for 8500C5 modules. Allow me to address your concerns one by one.

1) Hey, Promos parts suck!

We use Promos 90nm parts in several of our modules. They are specially processed and tested for us by Promos using a custom flow that we have specified. They undergo further testing and screening at our facilities. Our Promos based modules are very reliable and have been tested and characterized in our lab on many different and currently popular enthusiast motherboards. Namely the Asus M2N32-SLI, and the Asus P5B Deluxe. Modules spec’d at 6400C4 using promos have been carefully tested so that they meet these specs on every motherboard we use for testing. In many cases offer very respectable overclocking capabilities when latencies are relaxed and voltage is applied. On many motherboards we have seen speeds over 900 MHz. It is true, however, that in general, Promos based modules will not overclock as well as modules built with Micron rev D parts.

We can’t really comment on modules built with untested or limited tested chips, these may not perform as well as Corsair modules. Obviously, we cannot test every motherboard and configuration but if you have some particular situation where Promos based Corsair modules do not perform to their spec, please contact us. We have always stood behind our lifetime warranty, and have never intentionally shipped a part that did not perform to its rated spec.

2) Hey, Corsair pulled a bait and switch to make extra money!

We would love to be able to build all our modules using the fastest chips in the world, unfortunately that this not only unpractical but would in no way meet the demand we have for DDR2 800 modules.

In general we try to keep building modules with the same ICs all the time. However as a practical matter we have to have two or more sources of die for any modules that we ship in volume.
For the very high speed modules, such as are currently spec’d at 1GHz or more, there is rarely more than one die type that will meet the specs. Generally, these high speed parts appeal to a very elite segment of extreme enthusiasts, and as a result, we have no problems with using a single supplier for these parts.

Micron rev D parts overclock very well and we have put in place some very extensive screening and testing programs to make sure that the modules we ship with Micron are among the best and fastest memory modules in the world.

When we send high-speed parts to reviewers, we are very careful not to change the IC on this part to an IC that doesn’t perform as well or better as this would be an obvious “bait and switch”. This is a practice that is despicable and Corsair has not and will not take part in this type of false advertising.

During the course of this event, Corsair has been accused of intentionally utilizing a bait and switch tactic and using IC revisions to confuse people. We do not use such tactics as they will never survive the scrutiny of the enthusiast crowd, obviously. We rely on our reputation for performance, quality, innovation and customer service to sell our memory. Our IC revisions are dictated by IC supply and demand and are made to enhance availability while also sustaining the required specifications.

It would be nice if we could build all our modules with specially screened Micron chips, unfortunately, this screening is very expensive and time consuming and with the limited availability of Micron ICs, we would end up meeting only a fraction of our demand and thus end up disappointing thousands of customers.

3) I thought all Dominators were Micron based and now I feel ripped off because they are not.

First, Corsair has never stated that all Dominator parts are based on Micron ICs. Second, the Dominator heatsink technology offers many good benefits, both for extreme overclocking as well as for general reliability because it makes the chips run cooler. The Promos ICs respond well to voltage, and whenever voltage increases, heat output increases. The Dominator heatsink technology more effectively cools the ICs on both Promos and Micron-based modules, and this is why it was applied. It was never designed to “trick” people into buying a Promos part.

The high end Dominators, (those spec’d over 1GHz or spec’d at 6400C3) currently use Micron chips.

Dominator modules rated at 6400C4 typically use Promos ICs because they are much more available and less expensive. When designing the 6400C4D, our intention was to address the two main complaints that people had about the Dominator modules. 1) They were too expensive, and 2) They were hard to find. The 6400C4D parts are priced to be competitive in the market, and as such, we are focusing on price point and availability, both of which prevent us from using the Micron ICs on this part. At the moment we are having a tough time keeping up with the demand for even these Promos-based modules, as they are very popular.

5) You should tell us if you change the IC on a module!

We recognize that a small number of our customers want to buy modules based on a specific IC, and we try to be very upfront with what we use on performance modules. Please be aware that most DIY enthusiasts do not buy based on IC, they buy based on the performance spec.

We do recognize that we could do this more effectively, and are working on a new way to improve the way we get make this data available to our ‘professional’ grade customers.

Corsair is willing to make amends with customers that believed they were purchasing Micron-based parts before today. We understand the confusion and would like to make the following offer to anybody who purchased a 6400C4D kit before today.

Corsair will replace your 6400C4Ds with 8500C5Ds, which are Micron based, for the difference in price. To take advantage of this offer, please write me an email with the subject line “6400C4D” and include a copy of your receipt. NOTE: This offer is only valid for people with receipts dated November 28th, 2006 or earlier. Send this email to me at [email protected]

Again, please be sure to include 6400C4D in the subject line so that your replacement can be processed correctly.

Corsair appreciates your understanding in this matter, and we look forward to serving the enthusiast community in the future by continuing to make the world’s fastest memory. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am very impressed with the quick response. I have been a longterm purchaser of Corsair and have always found the service and warranty response to be top rate.

This issue with regards to chip specifications did not take away from the fact that Corsair's service has always been speedy and fair for me.

Thank you so much for your quick response to this issue and your mechanism for replacement.

Let us be clear though. I purchased one set of Corsair XMS2 TwinX 2X2048-6400C4 v1.1 which are Micron IC's. I then purchased two more sets a few weeks later and now have found them to be v2.1 and Promos. The second sets cost more than the first set and were from the same distributer. $435.00CAN was the price. I have the receipts.

Am I included in this mechanism?

Last edited:
way to step up to the plate corsair.yikes that 8500 is pricey stuff.nice offer never the less.

It's great to see Corsair try and redeem themselves like this by offering some sort of deal. Some companies might of just given the cold sholder. Hopefully things like this can be avoided in the future.

I am impressed with this reply. Not only by their willingness to address the situation and try and clear the air some, since many companies wouldn't do this. I am also impressed with their offer to upgrade memory for the difference in cost. I assume they will only be able to sell the used ram as refurbished, so they are losing money on this deal.

Very good customer service. I wish other companies would take the same approach.

Amazing. :eek: Less than 24 hour response to my e-mail requesting my proof of purchase and it's in the process. :D Corsair rocks!!! :thumb:

I am sending my 6400C4D's and getting them exchanged with the 8500C5's for the difference in price.

Less than a 24 hour response and George (Corsair Rep) said he will be personally dealing with all on a case by case basis.

You have to love the personal touch. :) I would personally wait a day or two as he must be inundated with e-mails. Give the guy a break ;)

nice.ive had very good experience with corsair and their cs.<--reason i was so disappointed with this whole fiasco.im sure theyll take very good care of ya.

DerekT said:
Amazing. :eek: Less than 24 hour response to my e-mail requesting my proof of purchase and it's in the process. :D Corsair rocks!!! :thumb:

I am sending my 6400C4D's and getting them exchanged with the 8500C5's for the difference in price.

Less than a 24 hour response and George (Corsair Rep) said he will be personally dealing with all on a case by case basis.

You have to love the personal touch. :) I would personally wait a day or two as he must be inundated with e-mails. Give the guy a break ;)

Yes, just got a response as well. Im surprised at how well a big company like Corsair can handle their customer relations.

Well I'm sorry but I won't jump on the 'yay for Corsair' bandwagon. Other than the timeliness of the response there's honestly nothing special to praise.

They offered to exchange the ram for the price difference. I don't see how that's anything special. 'Hey, you spent x based on initial samples, but just spend the price you would have on the top-end unit anyway and you can get that top-end unit.' Err..I mean, if someone was looking to buy $400+ ram in the first place they probably would have. It saves restock fees, which is nice, but that's about it so imo this response deserves a :shrug: at best. I'm really kind of surprised some people seem giddy over this offer. A bend-over-backwards praiseworthy response would have been refunding the price paid, refunding the restock fee, offering to exchange it for v1.1 ram, and so on.

As for the specific response points:
1) No, Promos ICs don't suck, but they aren't as good as D9s as the rep himself said. Yes they meet specs and sometimes go beyond. But if someone just wants to 'buy for specs' they can just get the cheapest ram with those rated specs. Anything more is pointless, and extra stuff like LEDs and the dominator heatsink system is downright wasteful although I'm sure it works well on less savvy buyers. This ties in to something said in point 5)

2)
In general we try to keep building modules with the same ICs all the time. However as a practical matter we have to have two or more sources of die for any modules that we ship in volume.
I almost feel like my intelligence is insulted by this statement. All one has to do is look at the list at HoH to realize IC switching is a longstanding tradition at Corsair, in addition keep in mind this list is incomplete. It's one thing when an IC goes out of production altogether but it's clear the above quote doesn't line up with the facts especially when it looks like there's a consistent and across the board change from better to worse ICs.

3) The catch here is that the dominator packaging itself isn't the whole story. The ICs used are a key component to its abilities. There's no need for heatsinks of any type at the rated speeds, which is what the rep said they shoot for, this is fine for the less savvy buyers who think 'ooo it's XXX line so it's automatically good' but it obviously doesn't fly with real enthusiasts. Coattails can only be ridden so far and this is obviously the reason less informed buyers make the demand for these modules.

5) As said elsewhere, Corsair itself never states what ICs are on a module, let alone list the revisions on their own site. I don't know what the real relationship between Corsair and HoH where the module type can be found is but maybe that should be made clear because it's obviously not the average random enthusiast forum relationship.
Please be aware that most DIY enthusiasts do not buy based on IC, they buy based on the performance spec.
If that were true then this whole issue wouldn't have come up would it? ;) There's a long history of intimate stepping and specific part knowledge by enthusiast buyers. It means Corsair is either out of touch with 'enthusiasts' or thinks that anyone who builds a system from components is the same. Lumping together all DIY with enthusiasts is silly, but then...
We do recognize that we could do this more effectively, and are working on a new way to improve the way we get make this data available to our ‘professional’ grade customers
I guess the real enthusiasts who populate boards like this are the mentioned 'profressional grade customers' as opposed to the noobie DIYer who buys based on brand alone.

It's nice someone took the time to write out a reply but it's been done after the fact and only because of many complaints. However the IC-switching complaint has been stated before for a while before this incident. A part number system that denoted IC used will be nice but it probably should have been done long ago in a proactive manner, some competitor companies already do this. Anyway, from my perspective there's no special reason to buy Corsair versus other brands any more and this kind of thing is just icing on the cake. The commodification of the 'enthusiast' ram market surely doesn't make things easy on the module makers who can only make value-added products but that's just how it is, missteps like this can sour people for a long time and now we can just as easily go elsewhere.

We see it differently. Nowhere did Corsair say that they were selling Micron parts. Find a review of the 6400C4's. They aren't forcing you to pay for the upgrade. You still get parts that clock to the rated speed and beyond. Their 8500C5D's are their most affordable micron part.

I did get exactly what I paid for (that is DDR 800 CAS4). This has been cleared up but nowhere has Corsair said that the 6400C4 or 6400C4D would be based on Micron parts.

I bought the revision v1.x and found Micron. Then I later bought two more that were revision v2.x thinking that they would be the same and they were found to be Promos. Nowhere did Corsair say that they were Micron.

I was angry but I was angry because "I" had made the "ASSUMPTION" that "ALL" revisions would be the same.

MY MISTAKE. I have learned to check revisions. I have learned that when the revision is an integer ie v1 to v2 that I had better be careful to see what the part is and this is regardless of whether it is ram or software etc...

I am clear now where the issue problem lies. It lies in my not realizing that revisions should be more carefully watched when integer changes are made.

This is my take at any rate. I am wiser to the methods used. I should have been I know the difference between an integer change in software and the magnitude of that change. This is no different.

OnDborder said:
Just curious. Did it state rev.1 or rev.2 on the label?

Yes it did. I just was ignorant of the fact that they would be different. I also am not able to tell revisions at the website where I purchase.

I now realize that for Enthusiasts such as we, purchasing RAM requires more research and detailed requests from the manufacturer to be certain of the chips.

Bad thing is, I don't know of ANY retailer that will tell you or guarantee a specific revision. In most cases, the person taking the order is not even in the same building as the merchandise and they also don't track merchandise by rev #.

Many companies will neither confirm or deny which ICs are used in their chips. Great customer service.

Heck I was writing a review on a companies memory modules and they would not tell me what ICs were used.

RangerXLT8 said:
Many companies will neither confirm or deny which ICs are used in their chips. Great customer service.

Heck I was writing a review on a companies memory modules and they would not tell me what ICs were used.

very true that.ive emailed several companies trying to confirm ics and got the same canned "we use the best ics available reply".
retailers are pretty much the same barring a few,tankguys will happily id them for you :) they are definately the exception tho.

Back