• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24 hour Water cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jim0ne

Registered
I keep my computer on 24 hours a day and it i have never shut down since I built it and was wondering if I could keep my computer on 24 hours a day watercooled? Is there anyone else that keeps it on all day long?

jim0ne said:
I keep my computer on 24 hours a day and it i have never shut down since I built it and was wondering if I could keep my computer on 24 hours a day watercooled? Is there anyone else that keeps it on all day long?

Excluding yesterday, my comp has been running 24/7 for a good month or two.

The only moving part in your WC loop (pump) should be able to last 24/7. In fact, some are meant to run 24/7 (Laing D4/D5 series, and DDC series, as well as Iwakis, possibly even Eheims). We don't always use pumps made for PC Watercooling, but industrial pumps.

First, Welcome to the forums! To answer your question, YES, my machine runs 24/7/365 and is only off if I am working on it, which is not that often. If you buy quality components and use PROPER hose clamps (metal worm style) then you should not have a problem.

Cool. Thanks. As of right now, I am planning to get swiftech mcp655 pump, apogee block and a danger den black ice 2 rad. Hopefully these component would not fail if i leave it on 24 hours a day.

jim0ne said:
Cool. Thanks. As of right now, I am planning to get swiftech mcp655 pump, apogee block and a danger den black ice 2 rad. Hopefully these component would not fail if i leave it on 24 hours a day.

Probably wouldn't fail if you left it on for 5 years :D

Good choices man. I was using that same pump up until yesterday, half broken, and it still was pumping through my loop just fine and dandy. Great little pump indeed. 50,000MTBF as well (roughly 5 years until it's expected to fail).

yep i approve of this thread.

but i always turn off my computer... i don't know why... i just... have that weird urge to hit that power button when im not using it.

its like when your hungry, its like... a felling you can't explain... but you know your hungry...

The only way my computer is off is when I'm installing hardware. If not then it's on all day every day. Just keep an eye on the water level in your loop. Even on a closed system there still seems to be some evaporation. I loose maybe a cc every couple months on my sealed T-setup.

Mr. $T$ said:
The only way my computer is off is when I'm installing hardware. If not then it's on all day every day. Just keep an eye on the water level in your loop. Even on a closed system there still seems to be some evaporation. I loose maybe a cc every couple months on my sealed T-setup.

Water is permeating through the tubing. Quite normal for a WC loop. :thup:

I actually haven't had any permeation for the past month or so. It seems quite strange :D

I'm planning on installing a reservoirs (swiftech microres)
Don't really like the t-line all to much, kinda make me scared of pouring water all over my rig, which ain't cool. Does the water evaporate quicker with a res?

jim0ne said:
I'm planning on installing a reservoirs (swiftech microres)
Don't really like the t-line all to much, kinda make me scared of pouring water all over my rig, which ain't cool. Does the water evaporate quicker with a res?

I'd expect it to be around the same. Can't say for sure, never used a res (though I really do want a MCRES-Micro). I don't see why it would be any different.

nikhsub1 said:
First, Welcome to the forums! To answer your question, YES, my machine runs 24/7/365 and is only off if I am working on it, which is not that often. If you buy quality components and use PROPER hose clamps (metal worm style) then you should not have a problem.
Well when you have "Three Beasts" leaving one running is easy. :attn: :cool:

Micro res does a good job. But the higher the flow from the pump, the longer it will take for the bubbles to work themselves out of the loop.

But i am new to water cooling, and thats just what ive seen so far.

Sleepy_Steve said:
Micro res does a good job. But the higher the flow from the pump, the longer it will take for the bubbles to work themselves out of the loop.

I'm planning on getting a MCP655, which is suppose to be a "gangster" pump, so i assume that the flow should be high, but how long would it take for the bubbles to work itself out?

I read on another thread on this forum to run the water setup until the bubbles are out of the system and then turn on the comp. So i would probably do that to make sure everything is up and running before i blow up my CPU.

It took less than a day to get the bubbles out of my loop, that's using a dual 3 1/2" bay reservoir so it's considerably bigger than the Swiftech Micro. I run my rig 24/7 unless I'm out of town.

jim0ne said:
I'm planning on getting a MCP655, which is suppose to be a "gangster" pump, so i assume that the flow should be high, but how long would it take for the bubbles to work itself out?

I read on another thread on this forum to run the water setup until the bubbles are out of the system and then turn on the comp. So i would probably do that to make sure everything is up and running before i blow up my CPU.
Micro worked decent for me... I'd say anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours with the pump running and the bubbles go away. You may need to top off the res durring that time though as water displaces the air in the lines.
I got foam once i added some antifreeze to the loop though, and need to sort that out the next time im home, unlike bubbles, foam was there for over a day... and i had run out of time over my turkey break.

The MCP 655 is rated at 317GPH. My Mag Drive 3 is rated at 350GPH 8) So the flow rate is similar. I would expect the behavior of bubbles as they work out of the loop to be similar as well. Maybe a bit faster if you can drop down the pump's flow rate setting.

When filling a loop with a D5/MCP655 turn to pump to the lowest speed setting, it will create way less bubbles. With a res I also fill the res, hit the power until i suck all the liquid down from the res, kill the power, refill the res and repete. This will help you avoid bubbles.

I've only built 3 loops so far but I've never had a loop take more than ~1 hour to bleed and all were T-lines. Aside from the extra 10-15 min. it takes to fill the loop I can't see any reason for not using a T-line, and the fill time can be reduced by using a long 3/4" T instead of a 1/2".

BTW - All 3 of my computers run 24/7 unless I'm working on them (SETI crunchers) - one 2xMCP655 loop and two DDC+ loops. As long as you use good pumps, rinse before building!, leak test for 24 hours, and keep the res/T-line full you're good to go ...

Last edited:
Back