• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XPpro+dx10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grande Juan

I understand that Dx10 is only gonna run on vista. Purely hypothetical question here, if a person had a "patch" that ran Dx10 on XPpro would it violate the EULA? Would it be condsidered a crack or hack and therfore be unable to discuss it here?

I don't think it will be possible so there's no use worrying about it. 1.) DX10 likely interfaces with the kernel to make use of functionality that has been added since XP. 2.) XP drivers won't have any DX10 support. So it is pretty much a pipe dream unless microsoft decides to go back on their earlier decision.

Personally I really think they should release DX10 for XP, I don't see a reason to not to considering they are going to be supporting it for another couple years anyways.

synthetic_fenix said:
Personally I really think they should release DX10 for XP, I don't see a reason to not to considering they are going to be supporting it for another couple years anyways.
Exactly!.. 2000 uses DX9 doesnt it?.. I mean.. it was out during the DX8 time era and DX9 runs on it.. why cant they just make DX10 run on XP and vista?... Doesnt 98 support DX9 too?..

SuperFarStucker said:
I don't think it will be possible so there's no use worrying about it.

So I've heard, whilst I welcome all opinions and wishfull thinking, my main concern is the EULA for XP.

Further discussion on why this is impossible is more than welcome, links please.

Umm, Crysis will run on dx9.

xp pro and dx10 is perfectly possible, but not probable. I suppose the only way MS would do such a thing is if legally forced. i dont think it would fly here but maybe in the eu they kind find some basis for such legal action.

blahblahbalh, "you have to buy Vista if you want to play Crysis" -- my response is to that -- just gotta inform the peoples so they're not mislead, u know?

jivetrky said:
Bro, People around here know these things already.

People also know that if they want to play DX10 games they will probably have to buy Vista.

:rolleyes: no they won't.

It really doesn't matter. Lets not go on assumptions, and try to express our ideas clearly, shall we? <donotreplytothismessageplz>

matva said:
:rolleyes: no they won't.

It really doesn't matter. Lets not go on assumptions, and try to express our ideas clearly, shall we? <donotreplytothismessageplz>

No they won't have to buy or use Vista to play Games using DirectX 10? I guess only if they actually want to play a DX10 game, eh? Yes, "blahblahbalh", we can play Crysis in DX9 mode. But it's not going to have all of the graphic features that it will in DX10.

And I think there's a 98% chance we'll never see DX10 in WinXP. They will have to write a new API and driver model for Windows XP. Why would they spend that much time on their "old" operating system?

Should I go to my car dealer and tell them that they have to design and install a hybrid drive system into my car because that technology is available in their new cars, but wasn't in my older car?

They're going to have plenty enough of a base in Vista. "We", being enthusiasts, are not a major market for Microsoft to worry about pleasing. Many new computers being sold now are going out with coupons for free Vista upgrades. And as soon as it is officially released, they'll ship outright with Vista. And these OEM sales are where the major market is for them.

Plain and simple, they have created a new system that was built from the ground up to have far better performance, graphically, than anything previous. (MS says DX10 can be as much as 8x as fast as DX9). They weren't concerned with making it compatible with older hardware or operating systems. Because, guess what, even though everyone is saying they aren't going to go out and buy Vista, they will. Just like everyone wasn't going to go out and buy nvidia's G80's because they were rumored to suck so much power. Or just like everyone said they wouldn't buy Battlefield 2142 because of the adware. Yet it's been #2 - #4 for the last couple months for top sales. Just like back when everyone said they wouldn't buy Windows XP. Just like in 5 years, everyone will be running Vista and when "Windows Craptacular" comes out, everyone will do the same thing.

Did I manage to express that idea clearly?
<And by the way, don't roll your eyes at someone for no reason and then ask them not to respond.>

Poop, I'm tired.
sleep2.gif

My one slim hope is that Cedega will support DX10 at some point, perhaps (I'm dreaming here) if they do, the source code could be used to somehow get a hacked version of DX10 running under windows XP.

jivetrky said:
No they won't have to buy or use Vista to play Games using DirectX 10? I guess only if they actually want to play a DX10 game, eh?

It is quite simple, really. DX10 game doesn't mean DX10 exclusive. It will be a good while before dx10 games require dx10 to be played at all. I asked you not to reply because this is a pointless discussion. My posts simply attempt to clarify your posts so as to avoid confusion and misinterpretation.

Remember guys DX9L is be released for XP, which adds shader module 4 support. So we are getting DX10 the easy way. There was some discussion a while back about how that might be DX10 for XP. Not sure if DX9L for XP will support DX10 games, as the only difference between 9L and Dx10 is the kernel integration.

I am pretty sure that DX9L is just an updated version of DX9 that works with Vista's Aero. AFAIK, it is not a DX10 solution for XP, there was an Inquirer report to the contrary, but they retracted it soon after posting it.

I doubt that we will see DX10 only games for quite some time. Honestly DX9 and the Radeon 9700 came out in 2002, but I can't remember seeing a game that didn't run at all on like a Radeon 8500 until the last year or two.

One of the reasons I think DX10 is not going to be on XP. It is an aging OS. Microsoft wants to start moving forward. How much longer does XP have until EOL? MS has taken a bloddy nose in how long it took from XP to Vista. Historically, XP should be nearing EOl by now. Though the delays of Vista have pushed that date further away. One would assume they need to recoupe somehow.

Doesn't DX10 call on certain functions of the kernel API itself? Will MS want to rewrite part of the XP kernel to support one aspect of the XP OS. Gaming is important to only a small apsect of the computing world. It is cheaper for them to just say no DX10 unles you buy Vista.

Shelnutt2 said:
Remember guys DX9L is be released for XP, which adds shader module 4 support. So we are getting DX10 the easy way. There was some discussion a while back about how that might be DX10 for XP. Not sure if DX9L for XP will support DX10 games, as the only difference between 9L and Dx10 is the kernel integration.

As funnyperson said, this rumour has been confirmed as false, DX9L is for Vista to have backwards compatibility with pre DX10 games.

Back