• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Threaded Rod Fastener Material for Rad/Fan mounting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I am skimming through McMaster-Carr for some 6-32 threaded rods to hold my fans and radiator to the top of my case. Would there be any advantage to use nylon rods instead of stainless steel? Disadvantage? Thanks

I doubt there's much difference in cost, so I'd look to see which would look better! You're talking about the top of the case, something everyone will see, so don't ignore the aesthetics.

The one disadvantage using nylon rod I can think of is too much flex/movement might loosen your hoses and cause a leek.
Do you go to LAN's?
Move your case a lot?
Have a little brother or sister that is a touchie feelie type?
Some things to consider.

I ended up ordering both types. I had the same worries about the nylon being too wobbly since I ordered them online. I'll just need to get a hacksaw so that I can cut them down to size.

As for price, the stainless steel was much cheaper. The nylon 6-32 threaded rod was $3.76 for each 24" segment compared to the $0.87 24" SS segment.

Nylon is actually preferable in many situations since it won't loosen itself under vibration. But I tend to use stainless steel threaded rod with Nylon hex nuts, instead of the other way around.
Stainless steel hardware will generally be cheaper when you can buy them in bulk.

I like steel rods with nylon lock nuts, too - strong and stable.

I did notice one interesting thing last time I was fiddling with fans - a #10 just happens to thread itself into a fan mounting hole, at least the Tt and Scythe I've got laying around. I've had fans mounted to a rad using #10 and no nut for almost 2 months without problems ...

Last edited:
Captain Slug said:
Nylon is actually preferable in many situations since it won't loosen itself under vibration.

Thats what Loctite or your favorite thread locker of choice is for. Super glue works too.

Thats all I use now for mounting rad's and fans and even CPU waterblocks. I have a box of all sorts of sizes of the all thread rod's just cut to fit.

Back