• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

disk check on startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaisom

I started out with one partition with xp, then ran partition magic to make a second. Now every time I start the computer there is a disk check scheduled, so I just cancel it and go on. No other problems. Why would it do this?

Open Explorer and right click the volume that chkdsk is scheduled to run on (the partition you added) | Select 'Properties' | 'Tools' tab | Error-checking-->'Check Now' button | Under 'Check disk options', put a check next to 'Automatically fix file system errors', and click the 'Start' button | A disk check dialog will pop up asking if you'd like to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart your computer... select Yes | OK out of the Disk Checking windows, close Explorer, and restart your PC. I've found that this procedure, as opposed to running chkdsk from the command prompt normally overrides the dirty bit.

Back