• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2kPro instal gone wrong on new system.....or, trying to anyway....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayer2003

I JUST finished putting together my new system, and I can't seem to install Win2k for the life of me. I've done countless reformats and installs before, from either playing too much with regedit, or just stupid mistakes, but I cannot figure this one out.

I start off, booting from the Win2k cd. All is fine. It wants to format to NTFS. Ok. It's done, neat. Now I have 4 irregularly sized partitions, none of which i can instal on, because the setup program is telling me thay are corrupt or not formatted.

Hmm.

I bring the new hd to this rig, format it, run scans and diagnostics on it, drive checks out fine. Pop it back into the new rig, and I get the same BS.

It's been 3 days of me trying to do this after work, and I have tried everything in my bag of tricks. Help? :cry: :mad: :mad: :temper: :temper: :temper:

New system specs:

C2D e6600
DS3
512 Kingston 667
Corsair 620w psu
seagate 7200.10 320gig, perp. recording drive
lite-on dvd-rw
evga 7900gs

run the hard drive diagnostics software from the CD (Hard drive manufactors or Ultimate Boot CD) and go with the Set up New Drive. Then you will have the options to wipe it and reconfigure the partions. Then boot the Wink2k CD and it should work.....

Use bootit to complete erase (delete all your partitions and boot records). Then try again.

is the disk you are using bigger than 128gb? i think 2k has issues with installing to large disks (even with sp4 perhaps??)
I've got a 135gb(formated) disk 2ksp4 installed ok. so if you are installing with sp4 slipstreamed ignore me.

aftermath said:
is the disk you are using bigger than 128gb? i think 2k has issues with installing to large disks (even with sp4 perhaps??)
I've got a 135gb(formated) disk 2ksp4 installed ok. so if you are installing with sp4 slipstreamed ignore me.

Yep...disks larger than 137GB go awry with less than SP3 in Win2K.

Partition or slipstream are about your only choices.

Back