• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ab9, ab9pro,ab9max

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ahbroody

Okay what the hell is the difference in these boards is it just the heatsinks?
I am leaning toward this board because evilizers setup is pretty much my budget and what I want to do also it wont hit me in the wallet to bad.
I am looking to go 3ghz on an e6400.

can this board do raid0. I read that the p5b has to have one internal and one external. I have never done raid, but wanted to try. Is this board the same as the asus with the 1 internal 1 external.

I have hated abit in the past do to memory issues, but the g.skill that works well with this board alegedly is on sale at the egg for a little over 100.

Future upgrades may include water cooling so the heatsinks are not a big deal.
mike

The main difference between the AB9 and AB9-Pro is the Pro version has more SATA connectors (9 vs. 6) and the Pro has a better RAID controller. The plain AB9 will still do basic RAID though. The Pro also has OTES heatpipe on the southbridge chip. There is no AB9 Max version. Maybe you were thinking of the AW9D-Max (a different model). Either of the AB9 versions should allow an E6400 to hit 3.2 gig no problem.

coolness
from what I read the ab9 seems to have issues with raid???
and I guess the ab9pro has no issues. I have never done raid and wil be learning with this board so I am thinking the 9pro maybe be a better choice for me as it is more stable.

That or a giga ds3 which also seems to be good for raid and a good 3ghz OC with and e6400

well ab9 has raid but supported by the jmicron controller... where as the ab9-pro has raid from that controler and the ich8r. ab9 and ab9-pro are both just as stable but wheither you need raid or not from the ich8r is up to you. ds3 has the same jmicron for raid since the ds3 does not have the ich8r for intel raid.

any way for the extra money i say get the ab9-pro and e6400. my board was one of the first to market with these newer ones. ab9/pro v-dimm is up to 2.5v and ocing well past 400mhz. i bet to see you get 425-450 for 24/7 usage.

keep us posted on how it goes!

batboy said:
The main difference between the AB9 and AB9-Pro is the Pro version has more SATA connectors (9 vs. 6) and the Pro has a better RAID controller. The plain AB9 will still do basic RAID though. The Pro also has OTES heatpipe on the southbridge chip. There is no AB9 Max version. Maybe you were thinking of the AW9D-Max (a different model). Either of the AB9 versions should allow an E6400 to hit 3.2 gig no problem.
Actually the NB, SB and mosfet cooling is the same between the two.

Max, you're right, another senior moment. I got mixed up, probably was thinking of the southbridge cooling of AW9D vs. AW9D-Max.

Back