• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Norton Ghost, but DIFFERENT HARDWARE mobo/cpu/video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidMetaL

Registered
well I have a drive that has all my programs and documents i want saved. However they were all installed on my previous setup which was a old mobo/cpu/video card etc. Is there anyway I can copy the programs over using NORTON GHOST to my new hardware and OS??

or is it only possible manually downloading the programs one by one starting FRESHLY installing each program.

Depends on how different the systems are. If you're going to completely different chipsets, disk controllers, etc., then you're probably going to get a nice blue screen upon first boot of your cloned disk. As far as just copying over programs, I don't see any easy way of doing it. Not even many hard ways, for that matter.

Safest bet would be to reinstall and is what I would do with such a drastic system change.

Back