• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking About WCing...A Few Questions First

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

I have read the stickies through and through. I'm knowledgeable in the physics of heat transfer (engineering FTW). I didn't see (or missed) an actual diagram for a water cooled setup. I'm thinking about CPU/GPU cooling only, so it'd be simple. Being a visual person, a diagram would help me understand some basic things like filling, draining, and the need/placement of connectors. I'd rather not buy a kit, so I need to have the instructions memorized, per say.

Next question, do they make a GPU cooler (memory too, preferably) for the All In Wonder X1800? I've looked around. Most either make no mention of the AIW series or say it isn't compatible.

Last question. I'm not exactly the cutting edge type, more of the best bang for your buck type. With such a simple setup, how much of a cooling difference will I see with the best parts and the second best? I figure since my max heat generated is comparably low to some of you (only 1 CPU/GPU...no chipset, etc) that I can get away with using some lower tier components and get the same or similar results.

I'm currently thinking about these core parts:

Swiftech MCP655
Swiftech Apogee
BlackIce Extreme 3 (mainly for the looks, that thing is a beast)

I'm also thinking about one of those nifty TJ07s from the other thread so I can internally house all of this stuff. My current case is just a little crammed on space.

Is this overkill? I'd also like this same setup to last quite a while (maybe through my next CPU upgrade or two), so that's definitely a consideration.

Thanks in advance.

looks like a Nice system . And should keep every thing Nice and cool. I did a quick check around for a AIW bloack but you are right they dont seem to be compatible . Might be better just to pick up a maze4 + ramk sinks , for your vid card .

here is some picks I dont have a digram .
this is a D5 pump / DD tdx / Maze4 / black ice extreem III

Great list of parts! You'll also need either a T-line or res (I prefer T-line) to fill the loop. If you like neat a T-line really needs a fill-port - Petra's has a nice one in Delrin that won't react w/copper like some others can: http://www.petrastechshop.com/madeficap.html A lot of guys like a dedicated drain line as well but I don't see the point unless you're changing fluids all the time.

Loop order doesn't really matter a lot except the res/T-line should be just in front of the pump inlet, otherwise you'll have a tough time trying to prime and fill.

Another consideration is to keep the tubing to a minimum. Because of that there is no common diagram for a loop that's very useful. Loop order depends a lot on the case, pump position, rad position, type of res or T-line, and personal taste ...

Last edited:
BIX series were designed for high cfm fans, if noise is a factor along with price, I would recommend changing your raditor to the HW Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360, Swiftech MCR-320 "Quiet Power" Series Radiator, or if you are willing to spend more, the Thermochill PA120.3. These raditors were designed for low cfm fan.

As for pump, DDC-2(Swiftech MCP355) with aftermarket modified top(such as Petrastechshop top) will costs you $20 more than the MCP655, but you will have a more powerful and silent pump with teh DDC-2 with top.

Also check out petrastechshop for waterblock that will fit your X1800.

Back