• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows and HDD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlakMonkey

I know with windows before SP1 there is the issue with 137GB drives, but what I am wondering is, if I get XP all installed on a 320 gig hdd, then install sp1, will XP be able to recognize the extra space?

If not, I did read about a registry edit posted by redduc, so I assume that would also work to solve this.

Thanks.

Xp SP1 will show all space on your drive but there is a little trick you can do prior to installing windows or any Service packs. I only have a vanilla XP pro cd. So what i do is use the software that comes with the hard drive, boot off it when setting up your drive it will ask what OS you are installing. Most people selct xp and go, but after you select xp select W/SP1 or greater, after thats hit ok and it will ask if you are sure your OS supports drives larger than 137gb click yes and format and partition like normal. I have done this every time and i have run 500gig drives on vanilla XP.

Last edited:
Back