• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good old D9 results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
I snagged the very last set of these on Newegg. Thanks Gautam! They are the PC5400ul corsair with fat body D9 chips. Anyway, I just thought I'd post some initial results. I am using the Biostar TForce965P-T with the vdimm mod. Actual ram voltage is 2.45v. I can't wait to take these things even higher! I will also try some 3-3-2 testing. I know it's only 1m spi, but it is totally stable running 3d benches. I have an x550 so there is no point in posting those scores. :)

e6300_1.JPG

-Collin-

not bad, any idea what chips they are specifically. My Team does 425 on 2.0V, wish I could that high, but alas the p5b-E doesn't have the voltage

I believe someone else spotted them, the thread is still in the cyberdeals forum although I'm sure it's been kicked back a ways by now. Gautum chimed in that the sticks were fatbodies and it looks like they were a limited quantity as if someone found a case laying in a warehouse somewhere.

Last edited:
I can't comment on what specific chips they are, but I love them! :)

Still haven't had time to mess with the 4:5 divider. Honestly, it's a little useless to me as I'd be losing serious CPU speed. I know this ram won't run on the 4:5 divider at 475mhz fsb. Or will it? :beer:

-Collin-

The original "CyberDeals" thread was over at XS. I started a thead here in our own CD section to let everyone know.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=487005

Some how or another newegg found 30+ sets of this stuff...Collin got the very last one. :D

Not too long ago (around August, I think) they had the 8000ULs for sale...seems like some horded stock keeps popping up now and then...just like Winbond BH-5 stuff would show up now and then.

According to most listings, the Corsair 5400ULs shipped mostly with Micron D9DQT (the better fatbody chip), but some modules shipped with D9DQWs.

Reefa_Madness said:
The original "CyberDeals" thread was over at XS. I started a thead here in our own CD section to let everyone know.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=487005

Some how or another newegg found 30+ sets of this stuff...Collin got the very last one. :D

Not too long ago (around August, I think) they had the 8000ULs for sale...seems like some horded stock keeps popping up now and then...just like Winbond BH-5 stuff would show up now and then.

According to most listings, the Corsair 5400ULs shipped mostly with Micron D9DQT (the better fatbody chip), but some modules shipped with D9DQWs.

Most DQT chips arent fatbodies, I had a gig of the normal stuff and it was fairly mediocore in the overclocking department. The Fatbodies are DQT BT-3 and DQT BT-37 with the BT-37s being better overclockers. Every other DQT is just normal Micron that in my experiance will do around 4,3,3 at around 400.

Man at $130 a set I really should have picked one of those sets up. I remember a year ago trying to buy fatbodies used for more than that.

speed bump said:
Most DQT chips arent fatbodies, I had a gig of the normal stuff and it was fairly mediocore in the overclocking department. The Fatbodies are DQT BT-3 and DQT BT-37 with the BT-37s being better overclockers. Every other DQT is just normal Micron that in my experiance will do around 4,3,3 at around 400.

Man at $130 a set I really should have picked one of those sets up. I remember a year ago trying to buy fatbodies used for more than that.

With all due respects, I believe that some of what you've posted needs clarification. I will not debate your personal experience, but with respect to the information on Micron chips, let me offer the following. The main point is that all D9DQTs are in fact, fatbody chips and that it does not come in two speed ratings.

For starters, here is a link to a pic of a D9DQW fatbody chip.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1392989&postcount=1417

...note that it is in fact a "fatbody" chip, just like the DQT pic linked below.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1761294&postcount=59

The general designation for Micron DDR2 is "D9", whether fatbodies or not, as you can see from this linked listing, there are many D9 listed, some of which are fatbodies, many which are not. All D9DQT and D9DQW, however, are fatbodies...period. With that said, let me be clear...not all fatbodies were good clockers, only these two are the ones of interest to overclockers.

I am not aware of a D9DQT chip that was not a fatbody and if you have evidence to the contrary (such as pics), then I would certainly appreciate you posting it. When you follow the Micron link further down in this post for the D9DQT you will also see that only one chip, the BT-3 (MT47H64M8BT-3:A), is displayed. It does not come in a BT-37 rating as was indicated above...it is the D9DQW fatbody that has the BT-37 designation (MT47H64M8BT-37E:A).

Continuing...

http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

As you can see from the above linked list, all modules listed with fatbodies were made with either the original D9DQW [(BT-37 Rev A or 266MHz rated or 1000/3.7 = approx 267) and used in ram like the OCZ PC4200 EB (3-2-2-8) and Mushkin PC4200 (3-2-2)], or the higher binned D9DQT [(BT-3 Rev A, or 333MHz rated or 1000/3 = 333) and used in most of the Corsair 5400/8000UL series, as well as numerous other highly regarded modules]. As documented by that list (most of the higher speed rated modules use the DQT version of the chip), the "DQT" is the higher clocking of the two, not the DQW, and easily breaks the 1GHz threshhold and beyond at still relatively tight timings. The D9DQW is more likely to just hit on either side of the DDR2-1000 clock speed. Both are capable of relatively tight timings at the higher clock speeds.

From Micron themselves...type in either one of the chips for the complete coding and see what pops up.

D9DQT (BT-3) or D9DQW (BT-37E)

http://www.micron.com/support/designsupport/tools/fbga/decoder#

Hopefully this will help clear up some of the confusion about the Micron fatbody chips, however, the thread that I linked a single post to above (pic of D9DQT) has some good info on the fatbody chips, as well as a few others which I've linked below. Much of the information that I've posted above originates from these threads, as well as other sources, and personal experiences as well.

Source of pic:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116949

Other threads:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94017

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77442

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90973

This is a long post and I apologize for the length. I realize that I've duplicated some of the info, but I felt it was worth repeating. Should you find factual errors, please point them out and I will be most happy to correct them.

Edit:
One last thing is worth repeating...all Micron DDR2 is designated as "D9" in their part numbering scheme therefore to say, as the title states "Good old D9 results" when referring to Micron fatbody chips is similar to saying good old Winbond when in fact you are intending to refer to BH-5 and not CH-5 or one of the other Winbond chips. The term D9 is generic, although many people use it interchangeably with fatbody chips. Today's top choices, the D9GMH and the D9DKX could also be referred to as D9, and I have even read reviews that refer to them this way. It can lead to confusion as to just what is being talked about when described in such general terms as D9.

Sentential has always made a big deal about this (to a fault I used to think), but now I have to admit that he has a valid point. When referring to fatbodies, I think that it is beneficial to be clear and identify it as either DQT or DQW.

Last edited:
Seems like we've always done that in the past (used those last few letters) with BH-5, -5B C, BT-D43, D-5, TCCD, CE-5, to name a few , so it would seem to make sense to keep doing it. :D

This is some of the best I could get out of the OCZ PC2-8000 Platinums @ 2:3, all done on unmodded mobo as indicated in my signature. :) I believe these use Micron D9s

E66009x400Mhz2-35-5-5-4-5-4-35Super.jpg

Only DDR1200? Come on, you can do better than that. :D

Just kidding, of course. What voltage does it take to hit those speeds?

OK, finally some more results. I can personally vouch that the 4:5 divider on the biostar board works like crap. I can't even get theme to run 450mhz on the 4:5 divider, yet they run 475 easy on the 1:1. So, 2:3 it is! My spi times are awful because of how slow my cpu is running though. :)

By the way, it's cas 4-3-2-9. It shows the cas latency incorrectly when I use the 2:3 divider. It is not a sign of instability. I passed the 32m just fine.

e6300_2.JPG

Going to go higher now. Still at 2.48v.

-Collin-

MadMan007 said:
*dreams* now only if there were 2GB kits for about twice that price. Now THAT would be a find :D

Seriously! I'm wondering how 4x512 will do. I may hunt down another set of these somewhere.

Also, have you been following that "fatbodies on ebay" thread? I may try those just for fun. They are pretty cheap.

-Collin-

I coulda sold you a set if my stupid cats didnt knock a box of stuff off of my benching table when I was at work. 1xD9DQW chip was ruined as well as a decent hsf. :(

IMG_4382.jpg

Collin,

Most would be happy with a gig of ram capable of 525+ and 4-3-2-9 timings for only $130, I would think.

With respect to your curiosity of 4x512...I did get 2 sets, but just don't have a working DDR2 rig at the moment due to space contraints. Hoping to change that soon. I have seen, however, numerous sigs and posts from guys running 4x512 sets of either the 5400ULs or the 8000ULs and clocking over DDR1000 at decent timings with 4 sticks...just take a little more voltage.

On a slightly different tangent...does anyone know if the 5400UL v1.5 has the D9DQT fatbody, like most of the others, or does it have select (binned) D9DQW?

Back