• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation 2 DVD Playing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

I have quite a few movies that I have burned on to DVD as data discs, I know full well that these cant be played on a DVD player that supports certain formats (cant remember which) but thats beside the point. Im currently runnin the rig in my sig and im sure you can see why its practicaly impossible for me to transcode my avi movies to DVD format, my pc is nowhere near realtime transcoding speeds and this is where I need help, Is there any way that I can format a disc so my PS2 will be able to play it without having to take a whole day to transcode one movie. Possibly a program or mod I can do on my PS2 that doesnt incurr costs of a modchip.

thanks in advance

RIPSTER

can I convert an IDE hard drive for use on the PS2 and does the linux kit have to be bought or can I download a free image and modify a keyboard or other input device?

thanks

its ok I found out what I wanted, Do you know any good website where I can buy a PS2 Network adapter, a lot of places I found have discontinued the adapter.

Last edited:
You'll probably have to get one off of E-bay because once they came out with the slimline PS2, it had the network adapter built in and they discontinued the add-on one. I've got one but don't want to part with it. Also a hard drive cannot be added to the slimline PS2.

Last edited:
Ive worked out the cost it would be for all the components to run linux on my PS2 and its just doesnt work out economicaly compared to a dvd player or a modchip, I can see how someone desperate for internet access for cheap or for a PS2 enthusiast but not for me.

PS2 linux + Monitor cable - £16

PS2 Network Adapter - £20

Hard Drive - £20-25

New monitor/Tv - £30-40

that comes to around £80.

any other options for running dvds on PS2?

ic, is there any way to aleviate the problem of my pc taking ages to transcode from AVI to DVD?

There is no way to get video files to transcode at an acceptable speed on a P3, they are pretty slow on my machine, even with multi-threaded software.

Probably the cheapest way to do it would be to get a second hand xbox and softmod it to run one of the custom dashboards, then run Linux or one of the xbox media players on it. I have an xbox that I use almost solely as a cheap HTPC. I picked mine up without controllers or cables from a car boot sale for £10, scour local newspaper classified ads and you could probably get a complete system for about 30 quid. I would steer clear of ebay because postage would be extortionate.

How would I go about softmoding an xbox? would softmoding it mean I can replace the hard drive and copy games and movies to run directly from the drive or does that require a modchip.

If I softmod will I be able to play AVI movies burned to DVD discs in data format?

thanks

Im broke and realy cant buy a dvd player, I have a ps2 that someone is willing to swap for an xbox so the xbox idea is more viable.

that mods aren't overly keen on discussion of such modifications as despite the legitimate uses many of them were developed to run pirate games, check your PMs.

Last edited:
It requires a modchip anyway so it's pretty much a moot point.

If your referring to the softmod needing a modchip that doesn make sense, the reason its "soft" is because it requires no physical hardware changes.

sorry if I misunderstood what you said

I've not seen anything for the Xbox that will let it run anything other than Xbox games or DVDs that didn't require a mod-chip. Also when you install the mod-chip you kill Xbox-Live. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this anyway as the Xbox has a P3-family 700mhz Celeron in it which is slower than your machine.

If I were you, I'd just get a video card with TV-outputs on it. My Nvidia Geforce 6200 does and I paid like $80 for it almost 2 years ago.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1776106

The xbox Linux people have developed various softmods ranging from savegame exploits to hotswapping the xbox HDD. It is possible to turn an xbox into a Linux or XBMC home theater machine without any tools other than a PC, a screwdriver, and the xbox itself. The more sophisticated mods leave the default dash intact and let you use xbox live still.

This is all my xbox is used for, I basically only run Linux on it, and sometimes DOSbox to play some old apogee and lucasarts games. I use it instead of my proper HTPC (which is now a TV recording machine in my bedroom), because the UI is great and I don't have a PC lightgun.

From what I gathered your saying that the softmod kills Xbox Live, This is only the case if you replace the xbox hard drive, as the EEPROM is married to the hard drive when you first use Xbox Live and any changes mean you are permanentley banned.

Back