• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro Activation Troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zewt

NOTE: The copy I used to install xp was a copy from a friend. I intended on buying a genuine cd key when I had the chance.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, I recently purchased a genuine XP Pro cd key from Microsoft. I am having trouble activating it, though. I have tried the registry method and couldn't find the entry it wanted me to find. I also tried finding the activation tool under accessories>system tools, but it wasn't there. WTF? Anyways, bottom line, I got a spanking new, legit pro cd key ready to go... I just need to know how to change it and activate it. TY

Generally if the keys are not there and the tool is gone it is already activated.:confused:

Nvm, troubles are now gone. I downloaded a Microsoft key update tool who's byproduct was activating the windows activation tool. Ain't that a trip?l :S

Anyways, all is well in Windows land. My sound is installed and it sounds good. But, I installed sp1 and still no usb 2.0 support. Oh well.

Man! I deleted the tool already. I wish I could remember the name off of the top of my head, Merlin. I do remember that it let me put in my genuine key and then it would validate my windows. There was an error the first time around, however, but a restart solved the problem and I was able to input the genuine key and activate windows.

I'll try to find what I downloaded and link you to it.

EDIT: Yea, I had no luck with Magical Jellybean : \ It kept giving me errors saying that I input the wrong key numbers or something.

EDIT: Merlin, I know what the tool I used is called now. It's called the 'windows product key update tool'. I am not sure of the URL where I got it from, but if you put the exact name of the tool into a Google search, I can almost guarantee results.

Last edited:
Back