• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 Premium crash!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcennis4

Registered
Thought you people might be able to point me in the right direction...thanks in advance.

I can't get past the Windows flash screen...it reboots.

I tried to reinstall the OS (even tried it on a new HD) but get the BSOD (shutting down computer to protect it...check for virus, hardware, etc.) when it says it is ready to start Windows (before the Repair or install options. I have removed all hardware but the videocard...set the OC back to default).

Someone suggested resetting the CMOS but I don't find any links on how to do it with the P5WD2 Premium.

Is there a way to check for and delete a boot virus? I have AVG but they have not responded.

Hi there!

Resetting is generally done this way:
- remove the battery
- remove the cap from the 3-pin jumper and put it back in the opposite way (i.e. if the cap connected pins 1&2 then put it on 2&3). You can look up the particular jumper in your P5WD2's User guide.
- wait 10 seconds (or half a minute to go for sure)
- put it back again the way it was before
- place back the battery
- turn on the computer, enter the bios and load the default settings
- reboot

That's it ;-)

Thanks!

I'm not sure where the jumper is.

I see one below the SATA connectors and one below the IDE connectors. The only writing I see is CLRTC by the SATA and CHASSIS by the IDE.

Is there a trick to removing the battery I should know? How does it pop out or what should I use?

The manual will tell you exactly where the jumper is.

You can always DL the manual from official asus site.

And you dont have to remove the battery.

mcennis4 said:
Is there a trick to removing the battery I should know? How does it pop out or what should I use?

I think we need more info, like processor, voltage, drives, GPU etc.

Finally found it in the manual...thanks. However, it did not help.

I've had the system for about a year and now Windows XP x64 keeps rebooting at the splash screen.

If I try to reinstall the OS I get the BSOD after the files are loaded so I don't get the option to try a repair. I don't think that matters because I tried a new HD too with the same results.
I have to reset the HD and DVD in the bios each time to even get to that point or I get a "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device" message...very screwy. It will only start the OS boot disk (sometimes)...all others get that message.
I've tried different OS's and multiple disks (in case they were scratched)...all with the same results.
I ran a 4 hour floppy GibsonHDtest and it showed no errors or bad sectors on the original HD that crashed.

I uninstalled all but 1gb of RAM

I installed a new video card and the only other things installed would be the DVD, HD, mobo, processor, 1 case fan. The DVD and HD work fine on other computers.

There were no overheating issues.

The HD and DVD show in the BIOS.

Any suggestions and Thanks again!

1. Which processor r u using?
2. Which mem type r u using?
3. Did you do a bios update recently.

All these questions would have to be answred before a suitable response can be given.

Thanks everyone. I took it to a local PC store to test the powersupply (no problems). I switched video cards and that had no effect.

We couldn't get any of my boot disks to work (Maxblast, OS, WD boot disk, downloaded utility boot disks, etc.) but they would work in the store and his boot disks would work in my PC...very strange.

Anyway, I finally got the OS CD to boot and installed XP Pro (no idea why it took). I had XP x64 but was never happy. It is much faster now. All those boot disks now work too.

Back