• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows re-install question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tranceaddict

I have XP Home Edition with SP2 and I will be doing a re-install soon as my system has slowed down over the last year. My question is this; I have my harddrive partitioned into C: and D: drive. My OS is on the C: partition and all my games are on the D: partition. Now when I format and re-install on C: only, will I still be able to play the games I have on D:, or will I have to reinstall them? I know all my programs that are installed on C: will have to be reinstalled, and I also know that all saved data on D: will be there. However, will all my games work?

I could be wrong about this, but I believe all the registry data is stored on the same partition as your os. I'd imagine that your games that are installed on D drive naturally have some vital registry info on C. Considering this, there is a good chance you would have to reinstall games on your D drive after windows is reinstalled. Unless, of course, you somehow managed to make a backup of your reg (if that's even possible.) That's my best opinion on the matter, lol.

Back