• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended 2x1GB kit of DDR1 for mild overclocking (VDimm up to 2.8V).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillrBuckeye

I've decided to extend the life of my S939 system for as long as possible. My 2x512MB of memory is starting to show its limitations in newer games like Company of Heroes. I'm getting an Opteron 170 for Xmas and I'd like a set of decent 1 GB modules to go with it. These will go in my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe which has VDimm up to 2.8V. I don't need anything extreme as I'd like to stay in the $200-$250 range. Any recommendations? Thanks a lot for your help.

How mild of overclocking are you going to be doing? I would say the gskill zx sticks that 68injunhead mentioned would do fine.

Or if you wanted something that could do 250 and maybe a little more you could try to find some uccc chips like these.

good lord those 2gig sets are expensive even for DDR1. I'm glad I picked up my 2gig set 6 months ago.

I think Corpse's recommendation is a good one. The PC4000 stuff could run 1:1 as high as 10x275. I might even do better than that. Its about the same price as the other sets which are available.

It might just be my board(I doubt it, but it might) but my set that came in won't do even 1mhz over 200. Thats just rediculous.

:( Totally disappointed.

What did you get teh ZX's?

Ya they don't do 1mhz over 200mhz, they've always been that way.

They usually will give you 225-235 @ 2.5-3-2-5 and some go to
240-250mhz @ 3-2-3-5

I've changed my mind again and decided that it's not worth investing $250 in 2 GB of DDR1 memory. I looked around for benchmarks showing gaming performance improvement with 2 GB of memory vs. 1 GB, and most showed that only a few applications (such as CoH) benefit substantially from the extra memory in terms of framerates. Of course loads times and overall responsiveness of the system when switching between applications is improved with 2 GB, but I can live with 1 GB for now.

Im running G.Skill DDR500(PC4000) 2x1gb and I can get it up to 285-290 stable. Im am running it on an ASUS A8n-SLi Deluxe and I think that my motherboard is preventing me from getting it up to 600mhz. It's too bad you didnt need this ram a couple months down the road as I will be upgrading my system.

yeah I'll probably be ditching my DDR1 in about two months. Gonna build a conroe/vista/DX10 card system whenever the good games start to hit the shelves.

Got a new job today so I'll probably have lots of cash to blow on it :D

Back