• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wwing49

Well the other day I wanted to test out ubuntu 6.1 64bit. As a refrence, here is my HD setup:

C: Windows
D: 80% Window's backups, 20% ubuntu and swap
E: Videos and other media

I needed to get some room on my D drive for ubuntu so I used Partition magic to help me do that. I added an EXT2 area and a swap space for ubuntu. I rebooted like it asked me to, and when it tried to boot into windows, it would get to the Windows loading screen, freeze and reboot.

I gave up on windows for the time being and installed linux on the D drive. Ubuntu installed and worked. I needed to restart ubuntu for something and when I tried, it would hang at the loading. I unplugged my C drive and tried again to reach the same error.

I gave up on linux and tried to get back to windows. I unplugged the linux drive and windows would still freeze at the loading bar. I tried to go into safe mode but safe mode would error at SPTD.sys (or something like that).

I used a Norton Ghost CD and found that all of the files on my C drive were still there. I tried to use the backup of C that I had to restore but the same problem exists. I tried to reformat the drive using my windows CD but the setup tells me that there are no hard drives connected.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

When you say that you tried to reformat from the windows CD, does that mean that you are able to boot from it or is there another problem that we need to look at also?

If you can boot from the CD, then you mat want to try the ultimate boot CD from here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

That has all the utilities that normally come with every brand of drive. It should have what you need to fix this.

If you cannot boot from the CD, then you can try making an NTFS boot floppy. you can find the details for that here: http://www.bootdisk.com/ntfs.htm

I tried to reformat the drive by booting my XP Pro CD.

Downloading the UBCD and trying that but I dont really know what tool to use with this. (Other than trying to reformat)

UPDATE:

Reformatted the drive with seagate tools. Copied my image and ran into the same problem of windows crashing at the bootup.

Ideas?

Back