• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fatbodies on ebay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can read D9DQW in the picture. I don't know which fatbody IC code was better, if those are good ocer's the price was good but it's ended now :shrug:

Looking at some references I think it goes like this:
D9DQW = BT-37E (37 indicating rated 3.7ns)
D9DQT = BT-3 (3ns)
From that my guess is the D9DQT/BT-3 are the 'better' fatbodies, which is kind of backed up by this list: http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/ (list not 100% accurate though because of module revisions) but with good binning and manufacturing plus luck the D9DQW are probably good as well.

The only catch with fatbodies afaik is it takes high voltage to get the most out of them, sometimes more than the 2.4V that most motherboards have now. That may not be right, the fatbodies were around and then gone before I started paying close attention to hardware again.

I've posted the following in that post at XS and I'll post it here as a caution.

I learned about that deal back in late Sept, early Oct from one of the members at XS (MACMAC in the link below). I bid on and got 6 of those PC2-4200 sticks with Micron D9DQW fatbody chips for a total of just over $515, with shipping and insurance. The ram deal of the century, or so I thought.

Unfortunately, not one of those sticks would boot on either of my Asus boards, one a 925XE based board and the other a P5WD2-Premium. The guy that told me about the chips couldn't get his to boot with his Asus boards either. They did boot on an Gigabyte and on an MSI, neither of which I own. He flashed the SPD with another modules and in the end got them to run at relatively decent speeds, however, never on an Asus motherboard.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121018

In the end, I returned all six sticks for a full refund. I can tell you that the Seller was very accomodating and even refunded my shipping and insurance.

I'm not telling anyone to not buy these, just that they may or may not work on your boards.

well that sucks.this stuff is a no go for asus boards then.
im planning on getting the evga 680i.have you heard of any compatability issues with this mb reefa?

I couldn't begin to guess how these sticks would do with that chipset.

With DDR2 prices starting to level off, I would be inclined to suggest passing on these and waiting to pick up something that has been proven to work with the new nVidia chipset.

I bought a set of these thanks to Adrock.:) They failed to boot in my 2 Asus boards P5N32-E-SLI & M2N32-SLI. But I was able to successfuly use them in my Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 (Intel 965) and ramped them up to 1200Mhz on the 2:3 divider. Yes I slammed them with the voltage...2.5v. I have not tried the 1:2 or 1:1 divider yet.

I sent him a e-mail asking for a refund before I tried the 965 board. And he replied the next day with a refund offer. but I declined it after the 965 board experience.

Here are a few pics of the ebay D-9 ram...

Attachments

• DSCF1892 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1892 (Small).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 586
more goodness...........

Attachments

• DSCF1896 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1896 (Small).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 581
and a shot of both sticks. I paid $97 for each stick shipped to me. took 3 days total.

Attachments

• DSCF1895 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1895 (Small).JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 611
1200 for less than $200 sounds pretty darn good to me lol.i may just give em a shot!what kind of timings are you able to use?are they getting toasty with the voltage your using?

Glad to see some good results.

Once again, a confirmation that these sticks simply will not play with Asus motherboards.

Gigabyte, on the other hand, seems to like them just fine.

maxfly said:
1200 for less than $200 sounds pretty darn good to me lol.i may just give em a shot!what kind of timings are you able to use?are they getting toasty with the voltage your using?

I used 5-5-5-15 to get those lofty speeds. And no, they were barely warm to the touch which is usually a trade make of good D-9

@ Reefa, you got it bro, I wish I could use them on my other boards. My eVGA 680i will be here day after tomorrow and I will see if they work on that. The only thing that I can think of as to why they are very finicky is the factory SPD stamp sub-timings on these sticks are to aggressive for the Asus boards.

I thought I saw a member here some time ago saying that there was a utility that allowed you to see all of the SPD timings fro memory and allowed you to flash new timings of you choice on them? Do you know of this util Reefa?

krag said:
I used 5-5-5-15 to get those lofty speeds. And no, they were barely warm to the touch which is usually a trade make of good D-9

@ Reefa, you got it bro, I wish I could use them on my other boards. My eVGA 680i will be here day after tomorrow and I will see if they work on that. The only thing that I can think of as to why they are very finicky is the factory SPD stamp sub-timings on these sticks are to aggressive for the Asus boards.

I thought I saw a member here some time ago saying that there was a utility that allowed you to see all of the SPD timings fro memory and allowed you to flash new timings of you choice on them? Do you know of this util Reefa?
very nice.keep us updated on your progress!especially your possible success on the 680i.

Nope no info. I havent' messed with them for a couple days now

Any idea which company actual produced the PCBs? Maybe there's a warranty on them through someone.

Back